• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

got my incredible REPLACEMENT (new not refurb'd) and it feels WIDER/THICKER/HEAVIER anyone else?

You cannot buy phones from Asurion...
Yeah I know but I know that if something is wrong with your own, regardless of where you brought it, Asurion will replace it, so wasn't sure...

My replacement is coming from verizon with overnight delivery.
Did you buy the original from Verizon??

I'm just trying to figure out if Verizon is the one that will send a replacement, regardless of where the phone was purchased. And if they'll only replace it if it's within the 30 days..

Thanks GUYS!! I no longer feel ignored..LOL :D

Upvote 0
OK, THE Brightness varies on these phones. I just went through this with my EVO. And I think HTC changed something with the color temperature on both the Incredible and the EVO. My original has a Beautiful Pinkish white tone to it, while the replacement has a more greyish white tone to it. Think Warm florescent light, compared to cool florescent light. I like the warm tones much better.

By the way, could you post a pick of the new packaging.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know but I know that if something is wrong with your own, regardless of where you brought it, Asurion will replace it, so wasn't sure...

Did you buy the original from Verizon??

I'm just trying to figure out if Verizon is the one that will send a replacement, regardless of where the phone was purchased. And if they'll only replace it if it's within the 30 days..

Thanks GUYS!! I no longer feel ignored..LOL :D

Yes I purchased from a verizon store on april 29th. Not sure if you bought your phone from best buy our some other 3rd part y store or online retailer.

Upvote 0
Ok, so my Inc warranty replacement arrived today (new packaging and all...) and the phone itself looks and feels IDENTICAL to the original that I received on the week of its release; however, the screen is definitely not as bright/saturated/contrasty as the original, which disappoints me to say the least. But that being said, unless they are side by side you would never know the difference, and on top of that, it's is barely noticeable. but I still notice it, but it's probably only because I am a maniac when it comes to things like that. On an upside, the new phone came with a 2gb SD card installed, pretty cool even though i don't need it. I almost don't want to send the old one back, I like the screen more.

Upvote 0
the size difference is pure misconception- a consumer electronics company would not re-tool plastic parts that have already been pushed into production. There is a massive development cycle for a CE device... and for a phone that's only been out for a month, I highly doubt any size difference in the product itself.

The screen brightness can be attributed to the AMOLED supplier (probably samsung). Manufacturing techniques for AMOLED screens aren't too old, so variation between batches could be a reality. Or HTC switched suppliers for a more cost effective manufacturer. The only way to tell would be to take apart both phones, something I doubt you'd be willing to do (you'd have to pay for both phones, etc).

Weight could mean a different battery. Have you checked both of their labels? If they're the same, then your mind is probably just playing tricks on you.

If anything, I'd be checking fit and finish of the phone. After the initial production run (which is usually overseen by development engineers) the manufacturing process gets ironed out. It is legal to sell early "production intent" prototypes (usually called alpha and beta runs) where the manufacturing process may not exactly be 100%. If anything your new phone may fit together a little better, etc. etc.

Upvote 0
now for the SCREEN. my original incredible is BRIGHTER/CRISPER. the whites are WHITE and on my newer replacement the whites are greyish. these were taken with both phones on max brightness. the ORIGINAL incredible is on the left and the REPLACEMENT/NEWER incredible is on the RIGHT.

the one on the left actually has the bad screen. the colors may appear more vivid, but they are oversaturated and incorrect. the screen on the right is how the display should actually look.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be a skeptic, but did anyone happen to notice that the bottom edge of the 'thinner' phone in both sets of pics happens to be slightly 'lower', from our perspective, as well?

Look closer. In the very first pic the phone on the right(new one) is just every so slightly closer to the bottom of the table/nightstand/whatever the phones are resting on than the one on the left. So yes, it is in fact thicker. Not significantly though. We're talking in the fractions of millimeters here.

Upvote 0
I wrote off any difference in thickness in the pictures as being poor angle choice. BUT the difference in screen brightness..... that surprises me.

^^^

I had to get new one from Asurion and received it yesterday - had to wait a few days because they had to wait for new ones to get shipped in from HTC. Brand new - new green box. I've had the original since launch day.

You can't tell any difference in thickness from these pics. They were takin on angles.

The screen brightness is the same.

The weight, feel, size is the same.

The only difference I've noticed is that I don't have any squeaking anymore - but some original owners didn't have this anyways.

RIP thread. Between dispelling these threads and the discontinuing threads, I'm getting exhausted! ;)

Carry on.

Upvote 0
It is very likely it is thicker because of a different screen that either includes thicker glass or some other material that prevents the pink issue from happening maybe a thicker film that is more robust. No retooling would be required just a lengthier process during manufacturing to add in that extra layer of film or whatever.

Upvote 0
i posted in a couple threads already but just thought id chime in also
when i got my replacement i noticed too that the blacks were not as black and overall it did not look as nice as before (not as clean and crisp) so i thought it was just my mind because i had not seen it in awhile,
but my sister also noticed and when compared side by side to hers and my old one (mine was a pre-order hers was a week or 2 after launch) you can definately tell the difference and the replacement looks less clear for sure

Upvote 0
Guys, Asurion only does the insurance replacements. They don't handle warranty replacements. That's done by Verizon, usually shipped out by New Breed. If you are outside your 30 day window, you WILL get a refurbed phone. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as refurbed phones have to go through a strict QA process to pass.

My phone has a perfect screen on it. I'm afraid that if I ever have to get a replacement, it'll come with an ugly pink hue. What's funny is that my friend has a pink screen on his DInc and he loves it - he says mine is too "blue" for him. I guess to each their own.

Upvote 0
Guys, Asurion only does the insurance replacements. They don't handle warranty replacements. That's done by Verizon, usually shipped out by New Breed. If you are outside your 30 day window, you WILL get a refurbed phone. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as refurbed phones have to go through a strict QA process to pass.

My phone has a perfect screen on it. I'm afraid that if I ever have to get a replacement, it'll come with an ugly pink hue. What's funny is that my friend has a pink screen on his DInc and he loves it - he says mine is too "blue" for him. I guess to each their own.

I am taking sides with your friend on this one. Mine has a pink hue and I like it. I look at it like the color warmth setting on a TV, I like the warmer colors when compared to sterile coldness of the blue hues.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones