got new stock battery - dramatic improvementGeneral

Last Updated:

1. waterbourn

waterbourn Member This Topic's Starter

I was one of those with a "bad" battery. I had the automatic 10% loss of the battery after about 20 minutes of the phone being on. I would barely use my phone during the day (check text messages and email 5 or 6 times and maybe 1 15 minute phone call, and 10-15 minutes of internet browsing) and have the battery down to 20-25% by the time i got home after an 8 hr workday.

So I called verizon, explained the problem and they sent me a new stock dinc battery in 2 days. I will say that that when I first got my phone months (as a pre-order), I played with it before fully charging the battery. So maybe I am at fault for making a "bad" battery. No chances this time around. This time i cut the phone off, put the new battery in, and let it charge for a solid 8 hours.

All I have to say is WOW.. Now i know what it is like to be one of you guys who say "what battery problems?" I worked my 8 hr day, used the phone the same as I usually do and I still have 85% battery left. I never lost that intial 10% of the bat either.

I don't know if not charging my battery properly the first time hurt my first battery or if I just had a bad one. But for all of you who get a new dinc, charge the battery right the first time is my advice.

Advertisement
  2. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Nice good to see that they are actually fessing up to the battery situation and all

3. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Just curious, did they ask you to send back your existing one or did you get to keep both? I can see people abusing this just for an extra battery if you got to keep both.

4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Well yea, now that you gave them the idea! Sheesh! :p

I know when I took my Dare back to Verizon because of a bad battery they did take my old one. But they were standing right there so it was easy to. They might not want to waste the shipping fee's to send one back.

5. brianhenny

brianhenny Well-Known Member

Good question. Isn't there an additional charge sequence? I think I heard on here you charge until green, unplug, if it's orange you charge until green and if not it's good to go? Or is it charge 8 hours, unplug, if it's orange charge until green? Sorry if this is confusing haha.

6. waterbourn

Yeah I had to send my old battery back. I just used the same box and they provided a 2-day fed ex sticker back to them. I did not pay anything during this process.

The guy told me to turn the phone off and charge the new battery for 8 hours which is what I did this time.

7. brianhenny

So after the 8 hours, you don't have to bother really checking if it's charged it's just good to go?

8. waterbourn

Yeah.. it was just good to go. Usually by the time i drive to work (20 minutes) and look at my phone, I am already down to 90%. This time I got to work and I was at 100% and it even stayed like that most of the morning until I used it a little more.

9. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

That is the bump charging and doesn't appy to the initial charge. The way that works is that you charge your phone to full (while on), unplug and turn off the phone, charge an additional 30 minutes or so, then you are good to go.

Technically, you should not even turn on your phone until you have completed the initial 8 hour charge. So none of the bump charge stuff matters.

ETA - If you only charge your phone while it's turned off, you don't need to bump charge either. Basically what is happening is that when the phone is turned on, the system is showing that the battery is fully charged when in fact it's not (no one really knows why). If you turn the phone off and charge it for another 30+ minutes it will actually charge to 100%.

10. brianhenny

Okay that makes sense. It's like, if your charging your phone while on, you turn it off and bump charge (because it was actually using power while charging right?

And when I get my phone, I won't turn it on until after the 8 hours, can't wait!

11. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of respect for you people who can actually wait those interminable 8 hours.

Granted, I know it's a meaningless ritual (well, the solid 8 hour charge isn't, but doing it first thing is unnecessary). But I don't think I've EVER been able to wait that long.

SIDENOTE: I usually do that to start calibrating the battery. I run down the partial charge all the way, till it dies and nothing happens when I press the power button. And then plug it in while I'm playing with it. I like to do the 8 hour charge when I go to bed.

12. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Battery conditioning doesn't exist with Li-Ion/Polymer batteries. Part of the reason you're seeing an improvement is you actually let it fully charge off. If you don't turn it off while charging, most people don't see the full charge (hence it drops fast when unplugged).

Bump charging is turning it off when its fully charged, waiting until it goes green again, and then turning it on and unplugging. I've seen a great improvement with this method and I'm still using the original battery.

13. k408

k408 Active Member

i did charge both my original and extended batteries for 12 hours without turning the phone on when I first got them. They both last longer only if I turn off the phone and continue to charge them everytime. They would show less than 100% (within a few minutes of unplugging from the charger) only if I charged them without turning the phone off.

14. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Did you preorder the phone and got it on 29th? I have the same problem, nd i thought the stock batery just couldnt keep with he phone, so i bought Seidio. I may return seidio if the stock battery can perform like what you said.

15. waterbourn

yeah. i pre-ordered the phone and got it April 29th. I don't know if a new battery would give you same experience i am seeing, but I still have 35-40% battery left at 10:30 PM whereas before I would already be charging an empty one. For me it is the difference between night and day. It makes me happy to have this phone again.

16. homieg

homieg Active Member

I had the same dramatic 10% battery loss. I found that fully charging until green while phone is on and then turning phone off...then charge again until green really helped with that though. Glad you got ur problem fixed though.

17. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

Ugg... I do not know how you all get through the day at all. I use my phone a lot, but getting through an eight hour work day on the stock battery would be heaven for me. I had to buy a 2600mah to get through the day.