• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got Offered a Job while Getting my X!

drpotter2807

Jun 13, 2010
Deep South
Haaa!!!

After asking a few questions... it was pretty clear that I knew more than any store employee.

I was also inquiring about th 32GB SD card. Wanted to know what class it was. Nobody... INCLUDING store manager knew what that meant. So I schooled them a bit and everybody thanked me for explaining it to them. Thats when the manager asked me if I needed a job. When I laughed, he said, "No, seriously... We have an opening!"

In the end I DID NOT get the sd card. They didn't have on in stock and couldn't tell what class it was by looking on the computer. Their 16GB card that they had in stock were class 2, so I just passed on the 32.

i also went to the store near my job. the rep really had no idea what she was saying. she was basically just saying what was on the info card "there is an hdmi port. you can connect it. the only difference between the droid x and incredible is mobile hotspot" and if I'm not mistaken that feature is coming to the incredible.

SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH STORAGE WAS ON IT! someone asked her and she had to look at the info card...really? I'm pretty sure like 99% of the people on this forum knows more than the reps (and I'm not just talking about vzw either. This has happened at the apple store too)

Upvote 0
Haaa!!!

After asking a few questions... it was pretty clear that I knew more than any store employee.

I was also inquiring about th 32GB SD card. Wanted to know what class it was. Nobody... INCLUDING store manager knew what that meant. So I schooled them a bit and everybody thanked me for explaining it to them. Thats when the manager asked me if I needed a job. When I laughed, he said, "No, seriously... We have an opening!"

In the end I DID NOT get the sd card. They didn't have on in stock and couldn't tell what class it was by looking on the computer. Their 16GB card that they had in stock were class 2, so I just passed on the 32.

Thats funny because when i went in a few weeks ago when my parents were due for an upgrade i was asking about the x and all that and all the reps had little idea what i was asking about and then the one rep said you should apply for a job here. I would have if i wasnt a college student and would be leaving in a few months to head back to school.

Upvote 0
No... didn't take the job. I would waste all of my vet skills and take a pretty big paycut I imagine. It was fun to be asked though!

I figured it would be a class 2 when I saw the 16gb was a class 2

Pay cut? A veterinarian to a commissioned phone salesman? Nooo ;):rolleyes:

I think you made the right decision!

Btw I envy you.. I wanted to be a Vet (or something alike - marine biologist) growing up but instead I took the lazy route and went to Business School - it pays the bills, but I'm stuck at a desk all day :(

Upvote 0
VZW reps have to learn about every phone in the store - hence why one of use would dominate in knowledge on a single device

I found glitches in my Storm that the dude in the VZW store said didn't exist, lol

actually i know alot about all of the high end phones(well most phones for that matter) because i frequently change phones. Yeah they do have to know alot of phones which they dont anyway so nice try i still know more then they do. But im sure you know everything so why dont you go and get a job to teach everyone?

Upvote 0
I went in my local Verizon store on the day the X release date was announced to inquire about it. They had no clue what I was talking about. No one in the store. I used one of the display phones to pull up the info. The store manager shot back into his office I guess and read about it. He had no clue about the phone. He said he watched some video about it and all he said was I dunno. Come back on the 15th.

Upvote 0
Highly doubt it all you want. Why could they not talk about it after the thing had been announced to the public? I went on launch day or what ever it was called.

I wasn't doubting that the guy you talked to was air-headed. That's why I said there are the "dumb" ones. I was just trying to make a point that not ALL Verizon employees are that ignorant. Case-in-point, my brother works for Verizon and there are many times where I asked him questions where he's not allowed to answer. Also, employees are allowed to play with the new arrivals days before the actual launch day.

I'm not trying to argue with you here. I'm just trying to clarify a generalization that you had made. Cheers!

Reactions: Lurkr
Upvote 0
Not trying to defend the reps here or anything, but having worked at bestbuy...the expectation (at least in my department) was that we would learn everything about the tech in our off hours...unpaid. We weren't briefed on anything aside from pricing/some talking points, etc. and those were the good days.

Fortunately, my department was full of raging nerds (guess where I was), so we usually knew everything anyway..the only times I noticed a real gap was when they expected us to provide support/info for things that all of us were too poor to afford (and so couldn't play with, break, then fix)...

Anyway, I'm guessing in a lot of cases in tech retail, it's a similar situation, and while there's no excuse for not knowing the hardware/software details for a launch like this, it's hard to stay on top of things when there's no way you can afford to own them. It sorta sucks.

Just my 2 cents

Edit: Also not trying to generalize that all reps/employees/support techs know everything. Plenty know nothing. I just got lucky enough to be at a decent store.

Reactions: CarsMatic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones