got phone for traveling but it is useless

Last Updated:

1. annmade

annmade New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    I got my HTC desire to help me while traveling extensively overseas. I need the gps to get places and translators as well as the internet for booking stuff. On getting to Europe I can't find a prepaid sin that includes data. As my partner says all I have now is an expensive majong set. I can phoneand text but what is the point of having translators if you can't use it overseas.

Advertisement
  2. ving

ving Active Member

Which country are you in? you should be able to find get a pay as you go sim card that includes data. You might need to phone up the network operator to enable the data plan.

3. annmade

I am In Spain and have asked everywhere. No data prepay it's ridiculous

4. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

Ridiculous, right enough. You should complain to the Spanish networks. Or find a device that doesn't need data, like a TomTom and a language book.

5. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Just to point out, that isn't the phone being useless. That's spain being useless. :p

Just using translation services shouldn't use much data so you may be able to get away with a normal plan?

6. el_jefe

el_jefe Active Member

Why don't you install a navigation software like Sygic Mobile Maps 10? For less then 80 euros you get a complete gps with maps from entire Europe.

There are good dictionaries from Paragon available for Android. The "demo's" are fully functional, but now and then they will peep to remind you you are using an unregistered version. But they will never stop working. I myself am using Van Dale edition and am very pleased with it. They even have sound modules so you can listen how a word is pronounced.

7. pistonfree

pistonfree Member

8. pistonfree

pistonfree Member

9. SwiftFox

SwiftFox Active Member

10. JohnShepherd

JohnShepherd Well-Known Member

That's Spain failing then...I did the same in Switzerland and it worked perfectly. If you keep your original sim, download Voxofon and laugh at roaming charges for calls :)

11. annmade

Thanks for the help. I know its not the phones fault it is just very frustrating especially when I have gotten lost late at night

12. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Buy a map! ;)