• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got the Captivate for $350 today

thetrent

Jul 13, 2010
Way after the whole error thing, I walked into the store expecting $500. The guy I bought it from was very confused about the lower $350 price when he rang it up, but thought it was awesome that I would be able to take advantage of the glitch. He hurried me out of the store to make sure I got the low price without someone coming up to him about it. Awesome guy; I think he liked the joke I cracked about my previous phone, (HTC Pure) being my first smart phone, was like losing my smartphone virginity to a fat and ugly chick.

Here's the thing though. I got a call (voicemail, rather) from AT&T saying they messed up and expect me to pay the difference. If I signed the receipt for $350, that's the end of the transaction right? Our official agreement that $350 is what I'm paying for this phone, end of story. If I just ignore them and they charge my account, is that illegal? How should I approach this? I'd rather not pay the extra $150 obviously.

I've attached the voicemail for the lulz.

Attachments

• captivate voicemail.zip
    94.4 KB · Views: 108
Haha, you got the phone for $350 (lucky) because of their mistake. As far as I know, there is nothing they can do about it. You already have the product in your hand. I didn't listen to the voicemail, but unless they are giving you some sweet deal for coughing up another $150, I would ignore it.

Long story short, they have a mistake in their system that needs to get fixed. Not your fault you were able to take advantage of it.

Upvote 0
I got another call today from ATT reminding me of my options. Of course I didn't answer it, recognizing the number.

1. come down and pay the difference.
2. have it billed to my account next month.
3. return the phone.

Meh, they're making me feel bad. It's still BS though.

Attachments

• captivate voicemail2.zip
    86 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
That sure is interesting. Any other retailer would have nothing they could do about it as you've taken receipt of the product, but AT&T is threatening to use their unique relationship with you as a service provider to take correct their mistake. I can't help but think it's possibly a bluff that they'll charge you because if they could just charge us for phones by adding it onto our monthly bills, why wouldn't we have that option instead of paying for it when we buy it. You could try calling their bluff and tell them you returned it, and see how far they're willing to investigate it. Or go to the media. Tech sites would have a field day with one more way to make AT&T the bad guy. Anyways, I'd be interested in knowing how this plays out.

Upvote 0
If you ignore them, what can they do? Disconnect your phone? Send you a bill and then report the unpaid bill on your credit report and then turn your phone off? That's probably what they will do. Make sure you hold on to that receipt. You might have to take them to court over $150. Maybe just take the phone back to avoid the headache.

Upvote 0
Well, my word was technically $350 as signed on the receipt, a legally acceptable document binding both parties to the agreement in price...

You clearly knew that it was supposed to be $500, or you wouldn't be posting here. You can certainly try to get away with it, and legally may be able to. However, that doesn't make it ethical.

If it were me, I would pay it, but ask if I can get an accessory or something for my troubles, seeing as you're having to deal with the hassle of it.

Upvote 0
Their mistake and their loss. The clerk could have simply call a manager to sort out the glitch. It was the AT&T employee that ok'd the transaction to you the consumer and completed the sale. You have done nothing illegal here. AT&T cannot win this one. This tactic of calling you is put fear and doubt. Like a poster said tell them to stop harassing you. Or, call your lawyer with your receipt and have a letter sent to them.

Upvote 0
I was at the AT&T Store yesterday, and they had them on 2 differnet displays marked at $350, asked about it, and the rep said yea I know it's low, but that's what the system has them at & what they're selling for.

Was tempted to get it at that price, but given I have to get the data package either way, the extra $150 for no contract wasn't really worth it for me, given the wife has AT&T, the home Phone is AT&T, the DSL is AT&T,ect. I'm going to be with them anyways so might as well save the $150.

but it was tempting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones