Got the Eris, I'm on Alltel, AT&T taking over.General

Last Updated:

1. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I've had an eris since december-ish activated on Alltel, just changed the PRL and 3G login information in ##PST# and shazam, works perfect.

Anyways, I've been on alltel for over 4 years now and LOVE it. I have service, and lots of it everywhere I go. Before verizons acquire of alltel I had service all over where my verizon friends didn't, now it's all much the same now these days.

I moved to salt lake city and got on AT&T and left my alltel account dormant. ... After a few months I realized that AT&T's service REALLY sucks. Many people say it's great, but they've never been on another service to compare it to. I'm an adventuristic person going on camping trips, off road trails, all over utah and colorado and what not, on Alltel I never had a problem and always had at least 1x and had 3g almost everywhere you'd least ever expect, on at&t I didn't trust my iphone at all if I left the city grid, that was just absolutely sad to see how terrible their service was.

Walked into alltel yesterday, the girl there wanted to know how I programmed an android CDMA phone onto their network, so I went and helped her out. She said here coming soon they are getting an HTC android phone, hmm??.. and that AT&T is coming to take their store banner down and change it to AT&T... she wasn't exactly sure of how it would work but, she said that we are going to keep our same CDMA phone's we've got and work as a CDMA/GSM hybrid from now on... crazy?.. maybe. Now, I'm curious of if alltel's coverage will stay the same after they change their name to AT&T or if the service is going to suck... I'm really thinking about moving over to verizon now, I just signed off of at&t, went back to alltel, now alltel is being taken over by AT&T...

I am not on contract with alltel right now at all, what do you suggest?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

[​IMG]

carmendiva likes this.
  3. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Didn't Alltel merge with Verizon?

I don't think AT&T is taking over. Perhaps that individual store, but not the entire company/network.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

Since Alltel was acquired by VZW about two years ago, you should still have the same coverage. I would imagine the only way coverage would change would be if they climbed the nearby cell towers and hacked off VZW equipment.

I think you should be good.

If the AT&T store gets a bit too messy, just go to a Best Buy or some other electronics store and get services done there.

steve500 likes this.
  5. steve500

That's what i figured, that Alltel and Verizon merged. I know that verizon phones that use to not have service in some areas here now ROAM on alltel towers when vzw isnt available. But, it says on alltel's website that it is sure happening and AT&T is taking way if their company, I dont know what AT&T has up their sleeves but it is sure interesting.

6. steve500

Yeahhhh, well, I'm not in salt lake anymore, I'm back in central utah 2 hours away from a bestbuy, so, 20 miles from here would be my closest AT&T location when they take over alltel's store. I suppose they will have the same employees there is what they told me yesterday, I know them all quite well so that will make things easier. Regardless, they said it's a true bummer but they hope that they maintain the solid and good service alltel has always had, if they don't, to VZW I go. My other option is sprint and they don't cover in our area or any other major UT areas worth a shi*, sprint brags about their 4G but you've gotta REALLY try hard to get a solid 3G connection in our area that they say they cover.

7. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the store that you're talking about is an independent retailer and the owner has decided to change from Alltel to AT&T.

I can assure you that AT&T is not taking over Alltel as an entire company.

8. danimich1

danimich1 New Member

Yes, AT&T is taking over several Alltel areas - I know this because they have bought Alltel in my state of Wyoming. I am hoping the coverage will stay good, but who knows until it happens? It's supposed to happen here in a few months. I just wish Alltel had some decent phones.

In the meantime, I'd like to know how you switched the droid to alltel. My husband has a motorola droid, and he's using it on verizon now, but we'd rather have it on Alltel. Can you give me some specific instructions on how to do this? Thanks!

9. CaptainTwinkie

CaptainTwinkie Well-Known Member

I live in Utah myself, Orem to be exact, and I know we don't have alltel here, just Verizon, and I have had Verizon the last 3 or so years and I can tell you here in Utah Verizon is the way to go, I get coverage that people on Sprint, AT&T, T-mobile, or Cricket get, it is by far the best company to get if you live in Utah.

10. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that this must have to do with the markets that the FCC required Verizon to divest as part of the merger approval. In this case, other carriers such as ATT can buy the Alltel equipment since Verizon is not authorized to do so in that area.

11. SChandler

SChandler Member

Verizon did acquire Alltel. However, the FCC would not grant regulatory approval because it would cause a monopoly. AT&T purchased around $2.35 billion of assets from Alltel. Under terms of the deal, AT&T purchased licenses, network assets and 1.5 million subscribers in 79 service areas, mostly rural areas in 18 states.

12. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

13. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Sounds like your in a divested area. I feel for you getting sucked into att. Basically what will happen is alltel phones will work as they overlay gsm, then they will start pushing gsm phones and let the cdma side atrophy
    Your eris will probably be ok for its useful life but in the next couple years service will deteriorate.