Got tired of the Drrroid sound at bootup

Last Updated:

1. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # This Topic's Starter

I know others have certainly tried this already but I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I thought I'd throw it out there for any interested parties.

Many of us have previously created an app.disabled folder to store unwanted files that could be retrieved if we ever want them back. I've never tried to disable a sound (mp3) before but I was tired of hearing the Drrooooooid every time I boot up the phone so I ditched it using ADB. Animation still works the same, just no volume.

mv /system/customize/resource/VZW_Droid.mp3 /system/app.disabled

(Note the spaces after "mv" and "mp3"). Much more enjoybable now. :)

FYI, I tried to cut/paste it elsewhere with Linda File Manager but was denied access due to read only status. Not sure if Root Explorer would bypass that or not and I don't have it to verify.

Advertisement
  2. Fantasma

Fantasma Well-Known Member

Many people did, Virtous rom removed it before hand. I never had to deal with it.

3. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

That file doesn't seem to exist for me, even though I have that annoying Droid tone whenever I start up my phone. Anyone know where else it might be?

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # This Topic's Starter

Ahhh cool. Yeah, I loaded the deodexed version of the leak and it still had it in there. I debloated it myself b/c Virtous hadn't been released yet. This may not apply to a lot of users then. :eek:

5. wkd1

wkd1 Well-Known Member

Strong work! Yes, Root Explorer can fix this too, just did it. Its a great app, and I believe its free.

6. JayCizzo

JayCizzo Well-Known Member

I removed the boot animation as well. Can't remember the exact name but it was in the same folder. Now it just shows the word "Android" after the initial HTC white screen. Not sure if it actually boots any quicker but figured it couldn't hurt. Used Root Explorer as well.