GOT UPDATE - swipe to unlock no longer workingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My phone did a little notification about 10 minutes ago and when I turned on the screen it indicated it was ready to update. I pressed "more information" and then it explained briefly what it would do and that I needed 40% battery power and then it said install and restart. So it took about 5 minutes all together. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the swipe down the front to unlock it no longer works! You have to hit the menu key even though it said that you could do either one. Anyone else experience this?

Anyone else get updated?

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I havent goteen the update yet, but that sucks if true.

3. Peaser

Maybe they felt it was too easy to unlock that way accidentally. In any case, I can't seem to find a setting to enable it again, but actually hitting the menu key is fine with me. But you should have an option. It's just weird that it said that you could do either one and yet you can't. Browsing seems a little faster. I'm not sure what else is supposed to happen, but I don't see any other significant changes as of now.

4. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member

Got the update moments ago. If I hit power and then swipe down, it works just as it did before. Did it used to work without hitting power? I never used it that way if so.

5. davbak

davbak Well-Known Member

Same here, mine seems to work just as it did before the update. One thing that may be different is you actually have to start your swipe on the gray bar. I can't remember if you could start your swipe anywhere on the screen before (above the bar for example) or not, but for some reason I'm thinking you could.

6. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Still dont have the update ... I can start the swipe from anywhere. If they changed it to just the bar, I am fine with that. I wish they would disable the menu button for unlocking ... thats easier to bump in your pocket than have it swiped in your pocket.

7. nessbuilder

nessbuilder Active Member

Got my update about and hour ago and everything is just as it was, still have to touch the power button and swipe from the gray line.

8. Sketchee

Maybe if they gave the option it would be nice. I always use the menu button myself.

9. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

No update yet. I just checked mine, it ACTS like I can swipe anywhere to unlock. However when I swipe slowly down from the top of the screen I see that it doesn't actually start to DO anything until I reach the black bar at the top of the grey bar - where it says 'Verizon Wireless', at that point the screen actually starts to drop down out of the way. So, on my phone at least (pre update), you have to swipe from the grey bar to unlock.

10. Demthios

Demthios Member

Yeah that was the first thing my wife noticed about the update too. I can tell you that her phone seems a bit quicker on stuff then mine right now, which doesn't have the update now wither that we because of the reboots and all or not I don't know.. still waiting for my update to come about...

11. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Actually, I just tested it out on my pre-update phone, and you can start your swipe anywhere on the screen, but your swipe has to END at least at the grey bar, or anywhere below. So it sounds like after the update, we will have to START at the grey bar?

12. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

yes the swipe is the major change that was noticable. Can't swipe anywhere anymore. Has to be on or below the grey line

13. Peaser

Hey thanks guys. I tried a bunch of ways to swipe and nothing worked until I read the posts here. I used to be able to swipe from anywhere. Not a big deal. It's definitely a little quicker and my battery has been pretty good today.

14. C07

C07 Well-Known Member

May I ask where some of you are located, region wise? Just curious where the updates are happening right now. I haven't received mine, I'm in Alabama.

15. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

in delaware, no update yet.

16. Sketchee

I'm currently in Baltimore, MD. The update came around 1pm for me

17. moonsbabe

moonsbabe Well-Known Member

3pm no update as of yet in West Texas.

<----look over there...I am a member now, just a junior member. I am almost a big girl!!

18. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

New york city...no update...yet?

19. davbak

davbak Well-Known Member

St. Louis, Missouri. I put my phone in Airplane Mode when I'm at work because I don't get a signal at my desk. When I turned off Airplane Mode at lunch, the update prompt was there.

No idea how they roll out the updates, but I've only had my phone for a week. My last name starts with B, but I don't they're going alphabetically.

20. Demthios

Demthios Member

Naw sitting here at home in South Dakota both my wife and I have the Eris's, we got them the same day and a sequential numbers she got her update at about 12:30ish and and I have yet to get one...probably won't till later next week.

21. Peaser

Suburb of New York City, got it this afternoon.

22. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

St Paul Mn, no update yet

23. nessbuilder

nessbuilder Active Member

Oakland Ca got it this morning at about 10

24. rok8man

rok8man Well-Known Member

Dallas, Texas and no update for me yet as of 3:13PM

25. C07

C07 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know how they do them either. That is why I asked. Thought maybe by region, but Delaware and Maryland are side by side. I tried rebooting phone but that didn't work, so I guess I'll just have to wait.