GPRS Connection problem?General

Last Updated:

1. Scholesville

Scholesville Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, just wanna check with you people, is there anyway to disconnect or switch off the GPRS connection on the G1 as i don't want to use it everytime. I am scared that if the GPRS is constantly connected even though not in use, it will affect/ increase my monthly bills as my line provider down here charges high GPRS download fee.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Go into the phones settings ... under Security & Location ... then make sure to uncheck "Enable GPS satellites"

3. Scholesville

Hi, the one i'm referring to is GPRS connection not GPS, the one next to the signal strength status. Mine seems to always be connected, is there a way to disconnect my GPRS connection.

4. justjimjpc

You can turn 3G off but not 2G(GPRS)(as far as I know) !!!

Except by going into Airplane mode

5. Scholesville

Hey, I manage to find an application in the Market, which solves my problem on the connection. its called APNdroid. It turns off the 3G, GPRS, EDGE connections. And can be easily turn back on. This application is a great help, save my ever-increasing phone bills. Thanks, anyway justjimjpc for your replies. :D

6. justjimjpc

Congrats, and thanks for letting everyone know there is another work-around to make Android YourDroid...

7. surfmadpig

surfmadpig Member

You can also:

a) Create an additional APN with false settings.
    b) Install anycut (if you haven't already)
    c) create anycut shortcut to APNs on home screen

After doing that, every time you want to turn off your data connection, you can click on the shortcut and select the ghost APN. To turn back on, click on shortcut and select the proper APN. It is two clicks instead of the one that APNdroid and Toggle Data applications require, BUT (and this is a big but...) each of these apps take a while to apply the on/off switch. The above setting is significantly quicker.

Thanks to whatever user of whatever forum I got this tip from, which I frankly can't remember right now :)