GPS accuracy

Last Updated:

1. capt-capsaicin

capt-capsaicin Member This Topic's Starter

I had a question come up here at the office about the accuracy of the GPS on my EVO. I loaded the "GPS Status" app and went outside and found that I am getting 3 Meter accuracy which is as good as my Magellan GPS that I use while hiking.

My question is this, while using Google maps I beleive that location can also be derived via signal strength triangulation from cell towers. If this is so has anyone seen a position accuracy that is derived from both the GPS and the Towers?

Thanks!

Capt-Capsaicin

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Actually, you can check it for yourself, as it will vary from user location to user location.

Free app in the Market called Tricorder - very cool, shows lots of things - including the position info via tower and also via GPS (as well as how many/which birds you're tracking and their relative signal strength).

VERY cool app ok.

PS - Dave's Instant Insanity FTW!

3. capt-capsaicin

capt-capsaicin Member This Topic's Starter

I beleive this only tells me my distance to the closest tower. I also have the app "antenna" which shows all of the towers in a GSM network but only the closest tower on a CDMA network.

I hope there is some way to get the positional accuracy from the towers on CDMA (Sprint).

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

What am I missing?

tricorder-snapshot.png (click to enlarge)

I'm unaware of any towers within 75 meters of me.

Sure looks like it's stating accuracy.

Per masbirdies - on maps, it places me within a 75 meter circle - at its edge - there are no towers within its perimeter.

Downloaded antennas - it shows the jumping between the nearest tower a 1/4 mile away and then over to the estimated position.

I thought you asking to see how far off the tower positioning was from the GPS positioning.

If you're asking is there any to get better accuracy by some process that combines the two, the answer is no, except for pathological cases.

capt-capsaicin likes this.
  5. masbirdies

masbirdies Well-Known Member

and see where it places you. The Wireless networks mode puts me within my back yard...about 150 feet off.

The GPS is 2 yds off per GPS TEST and the golf app that I use...Golf Card.

6. KingFatty

KingFatty Well-Known Member

7. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

I use GPS Test, it gives accuracy within feet. I'm usually between 2-3 meters.