GPS always on Android 4.2General

Last Updated: 2012-11-26 19:44:58
  1. drosseau

drosseau Well-Known Member

For some reason since we got the Android 4.2 update on the Galaxy Nexus, my wifes phone always seems to be searching for GPS. The first day it searched constantly until she shut it off. She shut the GPS off for about 5 minutes but when she turned it on, it started searching again right away. We have tried rebooting the phone a few times with no luck. Anyone else having this go on? It definitely seems to be draining the battery so I'd like to figure out a way to fix it without doing a fresh install.

Advertisement
  2. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

nope, when i first flashed my 4.2 ROM GPS was enabled (just like every other android version i have come across since 4.0) but after disbling it, it has never come back.
  3. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

More than likely Google Now is the cause of this if you haven't turned it off. Although it seems it should not be acting like this. You may want to try a factory reset.
    drosseau likes this.
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

My GPS just stays on even after it's done searching. It's been doing this since I got the phone a few months ago. Makes no difference weather or not it's rooted with a custom rom or weather it's just unrooted stock. The only way I can turn it off is to either disable it completely or reboot the phone. :(
  5. drosseau

Thanks for the post on Google Now. I figured that's what it is but I never thought to shut it off for a while and see if that helps. I will let you guys know what happens :)
  6. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

Yeah in my experience with Google Now it was horrible on battery life mainly because of the location based services within Google Now
  7. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

I noticed today that my GPS constantly showed that it was in searching mode, something I have never noticed before. I ended up having to turn it off and pull the battery before it fixed itself, just rebooting didn't solve the issue. I've had 4.2 for about a week, today was the first time the GPS issue occurred.
  8. drosseau

My wife had actually shut off the GPS all day on the day I posted that. When I checked it that night Shazam and the Weather Channel both took like 35% of the battery each. Both were trying to access the GPS. Turns out the Weather Channel widget was the problem. It was always trying to update itself. I took the widget off but left the app on the phone and left the GPS on all day yesterday. Her battery life returned to normal (roughly 40% when we go to bed) and she said she never saw the searching for GPS notification. Thanks for all the tips!
  9. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

Looking more at it last night, I also found that there is an issue with the Weather Channel app. It also sounds as if there may be another app that has a similar issue, making me think that Google may have made changes to the library files that apps use to access GPS.
  10. SCB1898

SCB1898 Well-Known Member

I saw this thread, and I played with the GPS settings with no positive results. I removed the Shazam widget from my homepage, and the GPS icon was gone!

Go androidforums!