GPS and 4G problemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Desert Cactus

Desert Cactus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have this phone for probably two months now. Overall I'm quite happy considering I have an old one for more than five years.

However, I have two issues that are really bugging me. I think it might have occurred after the froyo update although I'm not sure.

My first issue is the GPS. I takes much longer than before to find my location although when it does it is very accurate. Lots of time it's more than five minutes. It was much faster before. I don't know what's going on! :mad:

Second I have 4G problem. If I serf the web with 4G, I'm fine. When I turn on my tethering more than 90% of the time, it will automatically revert back to 3G even if I have good connection (two or more bars). This is quite maddening to say the least. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Will a factory reset help??

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Under Settings -> Location, also check use network, that should give you faster GPS startup.

Desert Cactus likes this.
  3. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

If you don't already have your MSL code, get it. Sprint will give this to you when they walk you through the data reset troubleshooting steps. Write it down.

You are now able to make some changes to your phone's default settings. Check this out from XDA Developers:

[GUIDE - YMMV] Connect to 4G sooner & stay on longer - xda-developers

Some useful codes:
    ##data# for making changes, resets, etc.
    ##debug# for checking actual network connection conditions.
    Signal strength indicators don't give you more than a guess.
    My old Connection Manager Software used to allow me to monitor tower traffic and bandwidth allocation, but I have yet to figure out how to access that with the Evo.

As far as your Evo reverting to 3G when activating tethering, are you sure that it is staying on 3G and not bouncing back to 4G? Since 2.2, my 4G connection will temporarily yield to 3G as I activate Hotspot. With in 10-15 seconds the device is back to 4G on Hotspot.

Desert Cactus likes this.
  4. Desert Cactus

@earlyMon I always have "use network" on so this is not an issue. The GPS itself will not lock on fast enough. I guess I'll go to the Sprint store to see if they have any ideas.

@tmwilsoniv I'll check out what that MSL code is (I really don't have a clue). Might be worth while. As to the 4G problem, sadly I've monitored the 3G to 4G after I turn on hotspot. It never reverts back ever. Once in a while, it will revert if I turn 4G off and then turn it on...but really this is a bug I should not have to do that and it rarely works anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion guys

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

6. Desert Cactus

Hey Earlymon, it did worked. I went back to make sure that it was truly on and it was off. that was silly of me. thanks a bunch. now it lock on in less than one min.

EarlyMon likes this.