GPS and graphics processorSupport

Last Updated:

1. ibyellow

ibyellow Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondered if the graphics processor on the milestone will help sat nav software to run smoother?

I'm thinking of getting the copilot 8 but have seen in reviews that its rescource hungry and wondered if the GP will make it run smooth?

If not then does anyone know what is the best sat nav for the milestone specifically? with maps on sd and not too expensive ;)

Advertisement
  2. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I can't say anything about CoPilot, but after reading the comments section in the android market, I ended up getting Sygic's solution direct from their website.

I was on holidays in the States for 3 weeks there and rented a car for the whole time, so that's why i got it. In short, it's REALLY good.

There's a small learning curve in how you search for POI's (not as simple as Google Maps' "type-and-find", but that's the same with all standalone gps), but literally every address and every possible POI i was looking for while over there was in it. There's also "history" and "near me now" functionality to speed things up. Seriously, couldn't have got around without it - used it to find Diners in the morning, beaches and malls during the day, and my way home at night! It also has phone numbers for nearly every POI.

It's also pretty quick at starting up, extremely quick at getting a gps signal, and never failed route-wise. Phone calls, texts, web browsing etc also keeps the app running in the background, so no need to worry about re-doing everything if someone calls while you're driving.

I might have only used it for 3 weeks, but it was the by far the best money i spent on anything over there!

edit - also, i'm struggling for phone memory on my milestone at the moment, but the app only takes up about 6.5mb which was obviously a huge plus for me!

ibyellow likes this.
  3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I have copilot and there are not problems with running it smoothly if you are rooted and overclocked.

ibyellow likes this.
  4. ibyellow

But what if your not rooted and overclocked? Phones too new for me to risk a brick just yet lol.

I'm tempted to try it anyway though the sygic does look good too.

5. ibyellow

I've gone with the Sygic :) will see how it goes.

6. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Good stuff, I'd be very surprised if you don't like it!

For future reference, this is a good guide.

He has one complaint of sygic - he has one or two things to say about sygic 10 over sygic 9, but i've used it A LOT, and never experienced anything he was saying. Could be because he tested on the desire and nexus one, which has a different screen to our milestones.