GPS app for Offroad TrailsSupport

Last Updated:

1. SeaGrizzly

SeaGrizzly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys I am trying to find a good app that would be able to map my route on my dirtbike through the trails and then first off allow me to get back without issue but also maybe have very good trail maps or topo maps I can plot the trails on later on down the road. My thought would be I would strap my phone to my bike handlebars and use it like a GPS but mostly to just record what and where I went.

It would be cool if its free but if its good I don't mind paying.

Anybody have anything like this or know of something, if I can't find it I might just have to develop it.

Advertisement
  2. Hartsblade

Hartsblade Active Member

I have OruxMaps. It's got a steep learning curve but very customizable. There are a bunch on the market, you might try searching under "hiking"

BTW there is a GPS emergency locator app called "Cradar" that is supposed to automatically contact someone if you fall down.

3. SeaGrizzly

SeaGrizzly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome I am going to check out both of these.

4. mvpiggott

mvpiggott Active Member

5. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

I used to have a an app that was on a palmtop computer linked to my magellan with satellite overlay when I went wheeling. It was great to have especially on roads with no names. or roads that dont exist on some maps. Garmin and Magellan make these now as handhelds.

6. Minimike

Minimike Well-Known Member

The GPS in our phones isn't very capable out in the woods. You really need a dedicated GPSr with a high sensitivity chipset in order to get accurate locations under tree canopies.

7. budone

budone Active Member

I am not too sure about that. My cell can hit 9 or more Satellites while in my house where my handheld Garmin gets squat.