GPS app?

Last Updated:

1. brettmc

brettmc Active Member This Topic's Starter

What are you folks using for a GPS app? I hope it's not the at&t navigator. I can't justify paying for that while i have handheld and auto Garmin units. I would like to have the gps capability on my phone tho. Is there an app you folks use for this?

Advertisement
  2. BobPaul

BobPaul Well-Known Member

Please don't waste your time on a GPS app for the Captivate as the GPS does not work.

3. brettmc

from what i've read, it's really random. at any rate, i sacrificed a goat on a stone altar this morning....i think mine will work.

4. Taero

Taero Active Member

As for an actual answer, we're mostly using Google Navigator, but yes, stock up on those sacrificial goats else you aint going anywhere.

5. brettmc

Thanks!

6. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

Google nav

7. evileyez3

evileyez3 Active Member

I'm using Google Navigation myself. However, I have heard Copilot Live is nice. I haven't tried it myself though.

8. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

Bummer, I was wondering what all the GPS hubbu was about so I checked mine this morning and it works fine as does my wireless...

9. John I

John I Well-Known Member

OK, I'm coming up on the end of my free month of ATT Navigator and have some questions...

- I want to dump AT&T navigator because it is not worth $10 a month. If I dump AT&T Navigator will the free navigators from marketplace still work?

- Those who are using "Google Navigator"; is that really "Google Maps"? I have Google Maps installed and see that it has a Navigation function built in. If not, where do I get the "Google Navigator" app?

- Are there better apps for navigation available if I Root and or side load?

- Anyone have a good cradle they want to recommend for mounting the Captivate in the car?

- Anyone try mounting an external GPS antenna yet?

Thanks

John

10. John I

John I Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, my GPS works just fine...

John

11. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Google Navigator comes along with the latest Google Maps. If you install Maps, you'll get Navigator too.

While it's not as feature-rich as a stand-alone GPS, it should work rather well if your GPS is working. Seems locked to 3D mode which I'm not a fan of, and the voice-synth isn't as clear as my Magellan.

There's a nice-looking car mount available direct from Samsung's website but last I knew it was still "out of stock". Not sure how you'd manage an external GPS antenna... it'd need to be the re-radiating sort since there's no external GPS antenna plug. I actually have just such an antenna somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

I've experimented with a bunch of other mapping/nav apps but Google's seems the best. I don't think there are any other significant options available to you if you root. There might be better pay options though.

12. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I thought it is cool that it automatically switches from day to night. I was playing around with it tonight and its on my bed and dark outside and it switch.