GPS apps and battery life

Last Updated:

1. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going on a hike this weekend and thought it'd be a good time to test out either Google Tracks or CardioTrainer to see elevation gain, time, speed, etc. The hike should last about 4 hours. How will my battery hold up with the GPS on the whole time? Assuming these apps have the GPS constantly draining the battery, which I imagine they do.

Advertisement
  2. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member

Should be fine, I've had my GPS on for longer than that, just make sure to give it a full charge right before you go!

3. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Keep your screen OFF as much as possible to extend your battery life. Four hours GPS tracking should be no problem unless you leave the screen on and then maybe.

4. johnny99

johnny99 Active Member

Yes, your screen eats much more battery than the GPS, especially if you have the brightness on more than the minimum. I've done 8 hour bike rides with the "My Tracks" GPS app running and still had battery left over at the end. I do turn off sync and I keep the Droid screen off almost all the time.

BTW - the Droid's elevation calculation is terrible. A few times, I carried a barometric altimeter with me on hilly bike rides and the Droid measured 50% to 100% more elevation gain than the altimeter.