GPS/Baseband Version SurveyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. sjdean

sjdean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys.

Quick survey.

Two things. Install "GPS Test" from Chartcross in the Android Market. Not that Im affiliated with them, I just think it's a cool looking app and does what it says on the tin.

I need to know if you have any GPS problems and what your baseband version is.

If you go to "Applications > Settings > About Phone > Baseband Version" for your baseband version, then fire up GPS Test and then answer the following questions:

1) What is your baseband version.
    2) Do you get any "orange" satellites, that show an SnR of 20 or less?
    3) Do you see any satellites of a higher (30 or more) SnR that appear grey and just won't lock on?
    4) Do you go from having a lock on 8 satellites to 4, 3, 2 etc?
    5) Do you get one satellite that gets a lock on with a signal strength 21 to 25, but then refuses to lock on about 30?
    6) Does your accuracy constantly change?
    7) Does it even appear stable?
    8) Are you jealous that your friends HTC Desire or HTC G1 can get a full and stable lock on to 10 satellites INSIDE THE HOUSE, while you can hardly get 5 satellites outside?

Cheers
    Simon

Advertisement
  2. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

1. I9000XXJF3 (i.e. what the phone was shipped with)
    2. No, I didn't get any orange or red satellites.
    3. Yes, I got 6 satellites over 30 locked.
    4. No, the lock was stable after it was established.
    5. No.
    6. No, constantly on an accuracy of 16,4 yards.
    7. It appeared to be stable, yes.
    8. Haven't seen any of my Desire owning friends try it indoors. They have had errors outside though, where MyTracks think they are walking on nearby railroads instead of the roads they are walking on, etc. So no, I'm not jealous yet, although I do look forward to see how much the firmware improves the GPS.

3. sjdean

sjdean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think if we can work out how much of a problem this is. Good to know there are some XXJF3 basbands out there that do work. That could indicate the issues Im having at least, is a factory defect.

But if I can gather enough information, we may be able to get our phones swapped out in time, or get Samsung to sit up and take notice.

MyTracks shows things like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...85943901485575.00048a1c32c407e779fec&t=h&z=17

4. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

When I get my captivate I'll post here and compare info. Should be the same GPS receivers right?

5. Balthazar B

Balthazar B Member

I'd expect the same hardware, but the drivers and device firmware could be different from that shipped on earlier SGS devices.

6. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

We'll see. 4 days and I'll have my hands on it.