GPS - battery drain and app restrictionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought that previously an application did not have the ability to turn on the GPS for security reasons. The latest Lookout update has that feature. I tested by turning the GPS off and then performing the Lookout locate feature. The GPS truned on, it was located and after the 3 minute locate Lookout turned the GPS off again. I think this is great as I primarily left the GPS on for this reason.

Just curious though, how much battery drain is there by having the GPS on all the time even when it is not being used.

Advertisement
    s_special likes this.
  2. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

just tried the new feature, pretty cool it turns it on only when you need it!

3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

mobile defense is a much better "lo jack" style app. it asks permission to turn on the GPS which is needed to get more accurate location. if the GPS is ran constantly it will consume a tremendous amount of battery power so i would not keep it running unnecessarily.

jamesdean likes this.
  4. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

GPS doesn't really use any battery at all as long as nothing is constantly checking location. Just leaving it on with nothing using it doesn't make a difference. If you like the idea of apps turning it on when they need it, then back off, though, you can use tasker.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

i've tried on, i've tried off...noticed no noticeable difference UNLESS you are using something constantly that uses GPS...GPS is called upon when needed.

(web browsing can be set up to use GPS..there is an option to turn it off but the default is that the web browser uses gps in some fashion, and causes noticeable battery drain.)