• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gps "chime"?

I've been wondering for ages what that melodious chime was for! Still don't know. But I don't think it is to warn of next turns, because I get it only rarely, three or four times a day, while I take a hundred turns minimum (in exactly the same circumstances as yours). It seemingly happens at random points in my route. Can't say it's ever happened twice at the same spot.
Maybe it's pulling down new maps and this is the signal that a download has completed...?
That chime is still a mystery to me.

As for that language problem... try telling Google Nav where you want to go in Oxford, England, in UK English, using Google Voice for input. Bring lunch, because GV/GN won't understand you. It only understands white middle class American twang.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones