gps chip is fried

Last Updated:

1. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

well i knew it was coming, i felt that the back of my droid (wile i know it gets quite warm) was getting just plain hot, almost to hot to hold. well today it took its toll on the phone, the gps stopped working. after doing several soft and a hard reset, i called Verizon and it was determined that the gps chip is fried (i am in NY but it said i was in south Carolina), wile it is more than 30 days they had no problem and are fedexing me a new phone. this is why i stayed with Verizon and didn't switch to AT&T, customer service.

anyone else have there gps go bad?

Advertisement
  2. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

no, but my phone gets kind of warm after about 30 minutes of web browsing. is that normal? not HOT, but a bit warm!

yes, Verizon is awesome compared to that Fat A$$ Luke Wilson company

3. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Mine gets pretty warm also. Especially if I have GPS and Wifi on at the same time. I wouldn't exactly call it 'hot, tho.

4. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Well-Known Member

it might be a problem with the battery. if you took it out before it got too hot you could have saved your gps. i accidently got a hole in the battery of my LG Chocolate 3 and the battery cover melted because of the oxidizing lithium.

Android Expert likes this.
  5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You're covered under a 1 year warranty on the phone - the 30 day limit is just for no-questions return and easy exchange if there's something you don't like about the phone.

So they did what they should do, though it will be interesting to see if you get a new or refurbished phone...

But yes, overall I have been very happy w/VZW customer support and it remains a key reason why I've stayed with them...

6. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

It will be a refurb. Any exchanges after 30 days are fulfilled with a re-certified handset.

7. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

I'd take the re-certified over nothing 7 days a week.

Is anyone even mildly curious?:confused:

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Maybe he was in a shoot out? @kbayer

9. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

i HOPE my chip isnt fried. nav just repeats directions near near my house before i "arrive at my destination", but a soft reset cured this. just hope is doesnt reoccur or is a hint of things to come!

10. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

thts the other thing my brand new one i just got is rippin hot... i shut it offat night but abot halfway through the day its burnin hot/ and nothing is running. i have everything disabled so nothing gathers info in the backgroud and i dont even use the gps. this keeps up i maybe calling vzw again on this issue.

11. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Well-Known Member

Well it was kinda an accident, my baby sister took a thumbtack and...well you know the rest

Android Expert likes this.
  12. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok, so i went out tonight and for fun, i turned on the phone and started the navigation and now the gps is working again... WTF????? what do i do now??? should i swap out the handset or tell Verizon to cancell the replacement????? decisions decisions.

13. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I'd exchange...I would not trust a unit that behaved like yours did.

14. Jgoble25

Jgoble25 Member

I had the same thing happen Wednesday before Christmas, while packing I almost grabbed my Tom Tom ans was like WTF I have Droid! We literally got in the car and got on the interstate (in Texas) and the GPS kept saying searching for signal then would show me driving over the Grand Canyon. So on our seven hour drive I was on the phone a lot with tech support and they even conferenced in a Moto rep and did everything and it still would not work. Day after I got to where we were going I walked into the VZ store and less than five minutes later had a new Droid and to top it off my camera was all jacked up also on the original and I didn't even know it till I got the new one. whats funny is i really never used the car mount but a few times with the GPS before the trip. I would swap it out if I were you.

15. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

i have a battery app that tells me the temp of my battery, i forget the name but it may be interesting to help decide the difference between "warm" and "hot"

16. punkid

punkid Member

17. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

LOL!

I think VZW should get Owen Wilson and then at the end say, VZW has the better Wilson - :p

18. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

The GPS isn't in a dedicated chip, its built in another with several other things, look at one of the daigrams out on the the inernet. So it would be rather difficult for just the gps to fry without taking out other things.