GPS constantly pinging

Last Updated:

1. Zaphod137

Zaphod137 Member This Topic's Starter

I realize this may not be a Captivate-only issue, but I thought I'd start here.

I only have a few apps going (Beautiful Widgets, Pandora, LaucherPro, few other standards) but I notice my GPS icon has been constantly going today. Not only that, but when I try to use Maps, it always says "Location Unavailable" when I try to get My Location. I have restarted the phone to no avail. Any ideas? Any app that will track what app might be using the GPS? I'm an Android newbie (as of getting the phone yesterday), so please keep that in mind :)

Advertisement
  2. keredini

keredini Well-Known Member

Beautiful Widgets will use the GPS to determine where to pull weather information from. You may see if it is setup and just try putting in a ZIP and telling it not to use GPS...maybe it gets stuck in a loop if it can't find GPS signal.

3. Zaphod137

I made sure the refresh rate was set to only 2 hours (course, the shortest is 1 hour), but I went ahead and turned off Geolocation, but it didn't seem to help. Sucker seems to be eating through my battery pretty quickly as a result.

4. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

Mine did exactly this when I installed Beautiful Widgets. I think it cleared up when I went into settings and disabled GPS then re-enabled it.

5. Zaphod137

Nope, starts right back up again :(
    It's basically eaten through 75% of my battery in a span of ~ 6 hours.

6. Zaphod137

I did a turn-off, remove battery and SIM card, and that seems to have worked. I suppose that should be standard operating procedure for troubleshooting.
    Still am not getting My Location to work on Google Maps, but it looks like there are other threads on that issue to look through.

7. jessejlt

jessejlt Member

Last night I went to sleep with very nearly a full charge. When I woke in the morning, my phone's battery was in the yellow. After inspecting the battery usage meter, I found out that the "Where" app had been trying to establish a GPS connection over the past _nine_ hours... :-/