• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS / Data usage

ryno1974

May 3, 2010
So, If I leave the GPS on all the time, will it be pulling data / battery life if nothing is using it? I have noticed that when I turn it on it will not show the little sattelitte image on the status bar until something like foursquare or a nav program starts. Then it flashes the sat image until I end the program, even if I leave the gps enabled.

What I am getting at, is can I just leave my GPS setting on all the time without losing any battery life of draining the data? My battery life still stinks even with juice defender running and trying all the tricks except dimming ther screen (I refuse to squint to see my screen, I paid for a nice bright screen after all) and I dont want to worsen it.

Thoughts?

It does appear to use a little bit of battery power....but not much....that is to say, it uses about 3% of the memory, which in turn uses more battery power. So, not much, but yes.

I found this out because I installed Netqin Mobile Guard which is a task manager (shows what apps are running) and it also has a big optimize button that I click at night that turns all that stuff off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones