• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] GPS does not work on custom ROMs

holmgren

Nov 12, 2009
MN
When I first got my S3 about a month ago, the first thing I did was root and unlock the boot loader and install CleanRom. GPS seemed to work just fine but after a few weeks, it started to take longer and longer to get a lock. So of course I go to the internet and google my problem. I came across a thread on XDA suggesting to clear data in Maps and in Google Framework Services and to my surprise my GPS worked again. After a day or two it started doing the same thing.

I thought that maybe my ROM was messed up somehow, so I re-downloaded CleanRom and wiped and installed. Same problem. I decided to try out GalaxyMod and I have been on that for the last two weeks, but this ROM seems to have the same problems. I used the app "GPS Test" and the On/Off light would turn green and it would say there were 20+ Satellites in view, but the weird part was that it would not have any in use. Normally, the only way for that green light to turn on is when it locks on to like 5+ satellites.

Eventually, I could get the GPS to work if I waited long enough (like 10 minutes) but when I would go to Navigation and start my journey, it would lose the GPS signal after maybe 15 minutes and then relock on after a couple of minutes.

Finally last night, after being frustrated with it for the last month, I finally used Odin to flash back to stock JB. Now every time I open the app "GPS Test" it locks on instantly and uses 95% of available Satellites, so I know it has something to do with these ROMs and not my GPS chip.

Anyone have this problem or any idea what is happening? Maybe I am missing something.

I had horrible GPS issues on Bean's v6 but when I updated to v8 my GPS came back and had been strong ever since and locks quickly. My advice is to reflash... but first, maybe check this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1880810

I actually found that thread and mentioned it in the first post. It worked for a day or two, but it would eventually go back to not locking. Thanks though..I am thinking it must had been something in the ROMs because I am stock now and it works flawlessly. It is something that I have to have because I use everyday for my job. I will stick with stock for a while til I get bored and eventually try a different ROM and see if it will work. Who knows, maybe my phone is junk, ha.

Upvote 0
I actually found that thread and mentioned it in the first post. It worked for a day or two, but it would eventually go back to not locking. Thanks though..I am thinking it must had been something in the ROMs because I am stock now and it works flawlessly. It is something that I have to have because I use everyday for my job. I will stick with stock for a while til I get bored and eventually try a different ROM and see if it will work. Who knows, maybe my phone is junk, ha.

Sorry about the redundant info, should've read the OP a bit more thoroughly. Since upgrading from Beans 6 to 8 with the new modem and RPM, I've not had any of the GPS problems I was having consistently on 6. He just released version 9 but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
When I first got my S3 about a month ago, the first thing I did was root and unlock the boot loader and install CleanRom. GPS seemed to work just fine but after a few weeks, it started to take longer and longer to get a lock. So of course I go to the internet and google my problem. I came across a thread on XDA suggesting to clear data in Maps and in Google Framework Services and to my surprise my GPS worked again. After a day or two it started doing the same thing.

I thought that maybe my ROM was messed up somehow, so I re-downloaded CleanRom and wiped and installed. Same problem. I decided to try out GalaxyMod and I have been on that for the last two weeks, but this ROM seems to have the same problems. I used the app "GPS Test" and the On/Off light would turn green and it would say there were 20+ Satellites in view, but the weird part was that it would not have any in use. Normally, the only way for that green light to turn on is when it locks on to like 5+ satellites.

Eventually, I could get the GPS to work if I waited long enough (like 10 minutes) but when I would go to Navigation and start my journey, it would lose the GPS signal after maybe 15 minutes and then relock on after a couple of minutes.

Finally last night, after being frustrated with it for the last month, I finally used Odin to flash back to stock JB. Now every time I open the app "GPS Test" it locks on instantly and uses 95% of available Satellites, so I know it has something to do with these ROMs and not my GPS chip.

Anyone have this problem or any idea what is happening? Maybe I am missing something.

I believe I have the fix good sir. Only have on XDA currently. http://forum.xda-developers.com/and...m-installs-t2961806/post57240358#post57240358 (I will be posting on androidforums tomorrow ;) really I will gotta sleep now)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones