GPS dongle ordered!General

1. critcher

critcher Well-Known Member

Yay!

Go here - https://vip.asus.com/login.aspx

I had to register my Prime first (should have done it months ago! :rolleyes: ), but it immediately told me to apply for the dongle.

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The fix seems kind of silly, considering it impacts the normal use of the device and the add-ons for it. A lot bigger than expected too.
  3. chris4x4

chris4x4 Well-Known Member

Ive been registered, and I ordered the GPS enhancment device (I refuse to call it a "dongle"). We'll see how long it takes to arive.
  4. critcher

It does seem big. I might never use it, tbh, but I figured better to have it than not. It will live in the car, on the assumption that if I need GPS I won't be at home...

Seems to me that they could have had the dongle plug into the tablet, and then a socket in the dongle for the dock to plug into. But what do I know, I'm not a techie! :confused:
  5. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

You would think that as bulky as they made it, they would have had it improve wifi performance as well...and included a pass-through for charging.
  6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

True dat. The Prime could have went from weak to mega wifi with the dongle.

Shame the two types of signals have different characteristics, but perhaps could have been done in parallel in the attachment. Perhaps would have cost more than they wanted.

My guess is that due to the lower volume of sales, the returns, dongle and customer service costs, the Prime already was in the red. A mega dongle would have made it deeper red.
  7. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

I've been registered for a couple of months - logged in right now - not seeing the damn link anywhere :\
  8. Gadgetnut68

Gadgetnut68 Member

The link is on the left side about 3/4 of the way down on the VIP login.
  9. Gadgetnut68

Gadgetnut68 Member

Out of curiosity, where are the pics for the "dongle "?
  10. critcher

11. Gadgetnut68

Gadgetnut68 Member

Is it just my eyesight or is there nowhere to connect the charging lead to?

There seems to be the release slide on the bottom right but no sign of a through charging lead.

Surely that is a requirement they would have considered?
  12. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Yeah, wasn't showing up. Then did about an hour later, and was loading to non available page, then about 20 minutes later was working.

Ordered.

Would have been nice to include a wifi antennae in the thing.
  13. jstcynske

jstcynske Well-Known Member

Just ordered mine, we'll see how long it takes to get...
  14. Treknologist

Treknologist Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'll ever use it but since they are offering it for free, I ordered the dongle as well.
  15. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Just ordered mine, don't need it as I've never needed GPS on a tablet anyway.

But might add value when I come to sell it, maybe.
  16. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

I ordered one, because it's free, but I expect to continue using my bluetooth GPS for navigation. That's the way to go, IMO, and you can get one for ~US$15 off ebay. Connecting via bluetooth uses less battery power than the internal GPS, and almost certainly less than the dongle, plus it has the benefit of leaving the connector free for charging.
  17. siggy1964

siggy1964 Well-Known Member

I ordered mine yesterday. Geez that thing is big. I would rather have something that "looks" like an antennae but hey it's free.
  18. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Ordered mine as well, even though I can't think of any reason to use it??
  19. siggy1964

siggy1964 Well-Known Member

Which one do you have? I saw a couple on ebay.
  20. sgosnell

sgosnell Well-Known Member

It's not an antenna, it's a gps receiver, with antenna. A GPS receiver doesn't need to be very large, but if you want good performance, you need a larger antenna than most cellphones have. Again, I'll probably put it in a drawer, and continue to use my bluetooth GPS receiver. It works, reliably, and has its own battery. Mine is a unit I bought several years ago, an F-Tech Solar receiver. I'm not sure it's even sold any longer. I found this review of it, FWIW. It also uses a standard Nokia cellphone battery, in case a replacement is needed.