• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS feature

alfick3

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
DFW, TX
I've heard about (don't have an Android phone yet, but will be getting one soon's I get my tax refund) using Google maps and the Optimus M has the Metro Navigator and such. The phone has gps capabilities and so on. My question is whether this is a suitable substitute for a stand alone gps? We are planning on buying new phones and going with MetroPCS and getting a GPS with our tax refund this year. Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Al F.

Stand alone GPS is better. I use both actually. IF I just need a location I pull up my phone if I need a direction I pull up Garmin. You can buy a decent GPS for $80-90 now days.

For your reference.

-Phone GPS + Maps drain battery in no time.

-Stand Alone GPS has a stand. Also even if you get a stand for Optimus M you are going to expose phone to sun way too much. Might damage your device.

-Stand alone GPS finds satellite much faster.

-Stand alone GPS has more user friendly UI.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Stand alone GPS is better. I use both actually. IF I just need a location I pull up my phone if I need a direction I pull up Garmin. You can buy a decent GPS for $80-90 now days.

For your reference.

-Phone GPS + Maps drain battery in no time.

-Stand Alone GPS has a stand. Also even if you get a stand for Optimus M you are going to expose phone to sun way too much. Might damage your device.

-Stand alone GPS finds satellite much faster.

-Stand alone GPS has more user friendly UI.

Those are some good ideas. I plan on buying a car charger. In my line of work, I go from data center to data center to repair servers, so will be using my phone a lot and I planned from the beginning to get a car charger. I've seen phone cradles that fit into the vents on the dashboard. That will help with keeping it out of the sun.

What I might just do is like UKCatFan suggested, and to try it out for a bit before I shell out the money for a stand-alone GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones