GPS Fix for InaccuracyTips

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

For those with the issue, go to menu > settings > location and security > uncheck "Verizon Location Services"

Use standalone by itself or that with Google services.

Advertisement
    woodyt74 likes this.
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

There are so many GPS threads out there and I dont wanna put this in all of them but it does bear repeating. My GPS is spot on and locks within seconds when I'm outside or in my car. However, if Im in the bottom floor of my house I am like a block off. Maybe the GPS should still find me thru all the levels but it doesn't and I can live with that. If I need the nav I get in my car and Im good to go. So anyone complaining that their GPS never finds them accurately, at least make sure you are not overly obstructed from above.
    Im not sure how much this helps but I follow the recommendation from another thread in here [sorry I dont remember which one] and DL'd GPS Status. I used it to Manage A GPS State and re-calibrated. This paired with standing out on my backporch got me locked in to the inch.
    Not sure this will help anyone but it wont hurt either.

And to the OP I found Standalone + Google is best for me, faster lock in and more accurate than Standalone, alone

3. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Mine takes 3-5min for an initial lock on a cold start (~12 or more hours of not actively using it) whether I'm inside, outside, in a car, or standing on the empire state building. It just sits on Searching for GPS when I open navigation before it starts routing. Only way I've found to get it faster is to create a shortcut to the GPSstatus.apk with ADW Launcher and start the GPS inside that. Then it only takes 15-30 seconds to lock. Not really an issue if you know the general area of where you are and can drive until it picks up but I wouldn't want to depend on it if I needed instant navigation.

4. Frisco

This was posted for those with the issue (perhaps I'll edit my first post to reflect that); some of us don't have the accuracy problem with GPS.

5. woodyt74

woodyt74 Well-Known Member

Since making the suggested changes, my GPS locks in 1 - 2 minutes. I'm now getting 7 - 10 sats in view and a lock on 6 - 9 sats. Much improved over the 3 6 in view and a lock on 2-4 I was getting before. Also accuracy is improved to 8 - 16 feet from 100 - 300 feet. Thanks. :D

6. Frisco

You're welcome, and great to hear of a success with this remedy.