• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS Fixed & Check For Updates Fixed!

Went out at lunch to try one more time to use this GPS restore app. Sitting in my truck, phone on the dash... failed all three times. :mad:

On a whim I ran GPS Test and, after the normal 45-50 sec., I was able to track 8 satellites (4 locked). Average signal was a solid 37.

Ran that restore app and got my position first time through.

Brought up Google Maps and in <10 sec. it had my location, satellite indicator in the status bar was solid, and no blue circle around the "me" arrow. Walking back to the building where I work it tracked me right up to the door.

3G was active, and "Use wireless <blah>" is checked.

We'll see how it tracks on the way home.

If it locks again, that is...

If your phone has not gotten a successful GPS "lock" in the past 2-4 hours, then it will have to redownload the ephemeris data (specific satellite locations) from each satellite in its range. Since this data is broadcast every 30 seconds, it's not uncommon to take up to a minute or more to start locking satellites depending on how many transmissions get interrupted. Once you've done this first "lock", successive locks will be very quick as long as the ephemeris data hasn't expired.

I think the GPS Restore app times out before the lock can occur. If you launch another app like LBSTestMode or GPS Test and lock onto the sats in your area, then the GPS Restore can quickly confirm your location.

Upvote 0
QR code verified. It works.

Considering you got your Captivate off eBay and the other mysterious problems you've had with it, I suspect something with your phone.

QR codes still not working. It seems like Samsung has removed this app.
I tried to read barcodes on 2 different phones. I also did manual search on android market and app brain but could not find this app:thinking:

Upvote 0
GPS resolution - GPSrestore. Upon first using this app it did not fix my GPS, but once I saw someone's post about doing it outdoors WHILE CONNECTED TO MY CAR CHARGER, it worked almost immediately and I now get A 32-49 foot lock within ten seconds!

The sales person where I got my phone recommended this where I got our phones. However neither my wife or I have had any GPS problems. Nice though to know it works and the best method of using it.

Upvote 0
IMO that's a pretty accurate track..some folks have a very high expectation with a mobile device's gps I think.

PS: I wish I had that short of a drive to work!

I don't expect My Tracks to be dead-nuts and found the results encouraging (considering all the noise out there from the supposed experts about hardware, antenna, and/or software issues) even though it shows I was driving through a building when I started out.

I haven't used any turn-by-turn 'navigation' apps to see if that inaccuracy would be an issue. I'll be using it soon enough, but will take my Garmin as well... and a map. I always take a map, I don't trust my Garmin all that much either, and prefer mapping out my directions ahead of time. One time, my Garmin routed me to Chattanooga via Nashville (Recalcualting...). :thinking:

PS: As to expectations... if we stop having them and there isn't any disappointment when they aren't met.

PPS: Move closer to where you work, then you'll have a shorter drive.

Upvote 0
I don't expect My Tracks to be dead-nuts and found the results encouraging (considering all the noise out there from the supposed experts about hardware, antenna, and/or software issues) even though it shows I was driving through a building when I started out.

I haven't used any turn-by-turn 'navigation' apps to see if that inaccuracy would be an issue. I'll be using it soon enough, but will take my Garmin as well... and a map. I always take a map, I don't trust my Garmin all that much either, and prefer mapping out my directions ahead of time. One time, my Garmin routed me to Chattanooga via Nashville (Recalcualting...). :thinking:

PS: As to expectations... if we stop having them and there isn't any disappointment when they aren't met.

PPS: Move closer to where you work, then you'll have a shorter drive.

lol..ya think?! I would, but I'd probably spend more time in the office than I should

Upvote 0
Being outdoors is a must if you're in an area where signal is weak, such as being in your home. Covering your antenna with a case could cause reception issues. As a matter of fact, almost any metal obstruction could. As with any battery powered device that relies on signal, you tend to get better results with a full charge or external power connected to your device. AM radio was even this way when I was a kid.

Last night I had GPS test on. It found 2 satellites from where I was. I walked into the building and lost them both. But while driving yesterday I had multiple satellites and no problem locking.

If your GPS doesn't work, do some testing. I find it irritating that I can't get GPS signal everywhere, indoors and out but I think it's safe to say it just isn't going to happen.

It's technology, people and while it looks like it's all the Samsung GPS that's the problem, that's probably not the only answer.

I drove from NC to Memphis in October. When I used the GPS I had no doubts it was working. I'll be doing it again next week.

fldude said people seem to have a high expectation of cell phone GPS technology. I think that's pretty much on target.

Upvote 0
Perhaps you should try other phones which tout GPS functionality and actually deliver it. Then you may not think that it is OK that the GPS is barely semi-functional on this phone.

Agreed. I can put a Motorola Backflip (universally detested and commonly referred to as the "Backflop" even by AT&T employees) within a foot or so of a window and lock onto like 9 satelites within a few seconds. With the Captivate, even if it's right up against the glass I'm lucky if I can get a lock onto a single sat no matter how long it sits there.

I hate the Backflip. And it came with Android 1.5. So what's Samsung's excuse?

Upvote 0
I went from the Blackberry Bold 9700 to the Torch, then had to have a Captivate. I knew about the GPS horror stories, but this phone is heads above the Blackberries....except for the GPS. Even my old Blackjack II and Jack phones had "immediate" GPS locks, even in my basement. The Torch GPS was excellent, and kept up with me, even on the highway at 70-80 mph speeds.
But, that is all those phones have on the Captivate. I have to hope that future phones inthis droid line will be better.

Upvote 0
Check for Updates resolution - Clear the Cache! Settings....Manage Applications....Menu, Filter, All....Device management......under storage "clear data"....back out and reboot phone, then I can successfully check for updates!

Do you mean to clear the CACHE, or the DATA? You say both here. My cache button is grey...I can't click it, I don't want to clear the data if that will remove something else. I did power it down and it tells me I need to wait until the 24 hours are up to check for an update again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones