GPS Fluxuating

Last Updated:

1. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to use Tasker and it's Location Based feature to fire off certain events (turn volume down when I'm at work, etc.). However, the GPS seems to be freaking out whenever I'm at work. I'm watching my location in the Maps app consistently jumping around between a spot a couple of miles away from the office and a spot about a mile from my house -- which is about 15 miles away.

I have GPS turned off so it's using the towers to calculate my location. I get about 3/6 bars on average when I'm at work. So I'm wondering why it's bouncing around. Turning on the actual GPS doesn't seem to help, either.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Advertisement
  2. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Does turning on the GPS outside of your building yield a lock? Using tower triangulation can be really iffy at times -- I've had it place me WAAAAAY out of the way when I'm not near a lot of towers for accurate triangulation. Even then, we're usually talking 3km variance from my triangulated location at best.

Not getting a GPS lock while inside isn't surprising, so turning on GPS while inside probably won't help at all. If you're near a window it could get a lock depending on the time of day/location/facing, so that can help troubleshooting while you're inside.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

Just a point of clarification: If you have the GPS radio turned off, then it's not the GPS that's freaking out. Location by tower triangulation and by GPS are two completely different things.

4. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, outside and at home I don't have a problem... only in the office which is a 3-story building. I'm surprised at least the tower triangulation is not more accurate. This pretty much defeats the use of the Location feature in Tasker. I ended up changing it to a M-F, 8-5 task.