Gps - help!!Support

Last Updated:

1. whotton

whotton Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi there im new to this site, only got my gt540 last week.
    Have to first say though i love my phone! my girlfriend has a vivaz and its crap compared to the optimus! which is a third of the price!

anyway the reason for the post...
    basicaly my gps is not working, ive tried it with several different navigation apps. it searches for a satelite and just dosent find anything? ive satin my garden for hours trying to get it working in an open sky, ive tried it at a friends in his car still nothing. Yet my brothers works straight away on his n97 :(

any advice would be appreciated

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

Works great on my gt540, are you sure you have activated it, pull down the taskbar at the top of the page the one with the battery, signal level on it then press the gps icon on the far right.

whotton likes this.
  3. HonestGuvnor

HonestGuvnor Active Member

I observed a similar behaviour with mine. Initially it would "time out" and so I went into the open but saw the same message. When I returned the message had changed to "no network" but still no connection. I then played with the settings in the maps program and asked where I was until it eventually came to life. I think it was after changing the privacy setting about letting people know where you are but I could be wrong.

whotton likes this.
  4. Aleksandr

Aleksandr Member

I suggest You use some application which can provide information about GPS status - like how many sattelites phone can see and how strong signal is. I use "GPS Test" from Android Market. Maybe that will give You a hint.
    Also make sure GPS is turned on in Settings/Security & Locations/Enable GPS Sattelites.

whotton likes this.
  5. whotton

wow thanks for the quick replies guys,
    yeah the gps is definatly turned on i use the power bar widget to controll wifi, gps, bluetooth e.c.t but thanks for the replies ill keep on playing with the settings and hopefully ill get it working!

does it need a constant internet connection as well? because i use wifi to load the maps and stuff but could switch to the 3G network if required.

Tanks again :)

6. Aleksandr

Aleksandr Member

GPS is independent of internet. Unless of course You use some application which downloads current location of GPS satellites from some server and in this way speeds up detection of location on first switch on.

I suggest You first find out if GP works at all by checking it with "GPS test" or similar application. Those normally show all visible satellites and their signal strength. They will also show if GPS determined its position. Notmally having from 5 satellites visible for 5 minutes should be enough.

whotton likes this.
  7. whotton

Hi all thanks for all replys, i've got it working now so im happy again.
    i basicly did what HonestGuvnor suggested, messed about with the setings and it eventually worked. :)

now to just wait for the update to 2.2!!

thanks again