GPS, internet, foreign travel

1. Gotte

Gotte Active Member

I'm planning a cycling trip to Europe (I live in UK), and realise if I use the onboard GPS which uses Google Maps, I'll be charged a roaming fee on top of my normal contract fee.
    I'm wondering if I buy the GPS app (right turn?), will it use the internet and cost me, or does it run independently, and save me the extra roaming fee?

Advertisement
  2. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

• Using GPS is free.

• Using A-GPS may cost you (operator fees)

• Using Google Maps will cost you because the map data has to be downloaded using internet access.

• Using a turn-by-turn SatNav like COPilot will be free (apart from the initial cost of purchasing) because the map data is held locally on the memory card.

1. However you may be charged for using additional services from within CoPilot as you will need internet access. But as long as you disable 3g / mobile network access you'll be fine.
  3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

There are also some apps out there that claim to be able to download map data (from various sources, including google maps) for a region and cache it so that you can use it later without a network connection. So, as long as you know which areas youre going to be cycling in advance this might be a workable approach.

Have a look at these
    RMaps v0.7.4.2 Application for Android | Travel
    bigplanet | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-codesector-maverick-pro-qFiE.aspx

Cant say whether theyre any good or not as i havent tried them