GPS is horribleSupport

Last Updated:

1. akikhia

akikhia Well-Known Member

what can i do to improve it? most of the time i can never get a lock at all any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

Not really sure, mine works very well using GPS antenna or the cell towers. If you have a case on it, remove it and see if you get a faster and better GPS lock.
  3. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

I second itsallgood's reply.

I use GPS daily, with Waze navigation and Endomondo sport tracking app. It's fast and very accurate.
  4. hopey

hopey Well-Known Member

Yep mine works well I was out geocaching yesterday and it got me within 5ft every time.
  5. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

I have to agree, mine works impressively well. I also use Waze and I am surprised at how fast it locks in on me as soon as I open the app. Even in a van without a good view of the sky.

Chris....

edit: I should also mention that I have never run any type of case on mine (or any of my phones).
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

The OP is not alone having problems with the GPS but it works absolutely fine for me too.

Have you tried using an app like GPS Status to get an idea of what is going on?
  7. akikhia

how long does it take u to get a lock?
  8. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Inside or out? Outside I've never had an issue. Nor have I ever had a problem where when navigating the Google Navigation program starts showing it is unsure of the position, as sometimes occurred with my old phone. I have though only had the phone 3-4 weeks, but I use GPS almost daily.

Assuming you're not a Verizon customer and have a supported phone, have you tried the fake phone app mentioned in a couple of recent threads?
  9. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Usually less than a minute outdoors. A bit longer indoors if there is a signal but of course sometimes, it won't lock when I am indoors if the signal isn't strong enough.
  10. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, do you turn GPS on/off? I've run into at least one app (widget???) which did suck battery with GPS turned on, but other than that I've not found any significant battery savings turning GPS off. I'm sure there is some, but it's minor.

Anyway, if it's always on, getting a lock is probably less of an issue.
  11. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

Solution: Start uninstalling apps that use the GPS.

I was INFURIATED when after being less than 2 weeks old my GPS suddenly would not get a GPS lock. I was travelling for work and I needed this feature to work. I was very upset by the loss of this function.

Later, I decided to uninstall the Yahoo! Weather app because I found out, despite how pretty it is, it didn't have a radar feature. BOOM. GPS worked. Somehow it interfered with ALL other GPS abilities.
    Podivin likes this.
  12. akikhia

i see ya mine is averaging a minute, i guess i got spoiled with my s3 which would lock in less than 10 seconds always
    its frustrating too because sometimes ill wait a minute then two then three n it turns out it doesnt wana lock til i restart google maps. idk maybe its a thing with the new google maps