GPS is raping my battery!Support

Last Updated:

1. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've figured out that GPS is killing my battery. When Its on I get 7-8 hours on my battery. When its off, I'm at 60-70% after 10-11 hours. Is there a setting that I have off or a setting that could cause thisk? Even when I dont use navigation it stills my battery.

Advertisement
  2. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a setting that could cause this. Go to your power center widget, and make sure the middle one is off.

Just turn off the GPS when you don't need it. When it's on it's more or less constantly finding your location.

EDIT: ok, I'll admit I was kinda wrong. It isn't necessarily a battery hog (did an experiment today, gps in the background did not have a huge effect). However, I stand by my advice...just turn off the GPS when you don't need it. Unless you feel like wading through every widget/application setting to try and figure it out, just take the 2 seconds to turn on/off the gps as needed.

3. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

You probably have a widget or a program that is updating often that uses GPS. I never turn GPS off and my battery lasts me all day. GPS is only running when you see that little satellite icon in the notification bar.

4. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

I agree with VegasOnAcid. I leave my GPS on 24/7 and my battery lasts all day/night. There is an app or a widget you have using the GPS. You need to find out which one it is.

5. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

It's not the GPS. You can see when the green signals are going out thats when it's working. Otherwise it is just sitting there doing nothing.

It's not like Bluetooth or Wifi.

6. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

gps does not use battery when left on unless a program needs to use it like maps or weather

7. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Twidroyd doesnt us GPS I have that turned off. Maybe beautiful widgets? I dont know what it could be. I cleard all the GPS permissions In the browser.

8. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

You can set beautiful widgest weather to use the GPS. depending on how often the weather updates it could be the problem. I set mine for hourly and it still has not caused much of an issue.

9. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I just leave GPS off unless I'm using navigation. I don't see any purpose for having it on.

10. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

so u dont have to turn it on when you need it

11. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

i leave mine on 24/7.. With no hit to my battery..

Unless you download a program that uses your gps..
    I was using the shop savy barcode scanner.. but they now have updated it and it uses my god dammed gps about 5 times a day..

So no more shop savy barcode scanner to me.. I sent them a nasty email and got a bullshit canned response from them..

AVOID SHOP SAVY BARCODE SCANNER... Unless they fix the gps usage bullshit.

12. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Thus saving you what, 15 seconds of battery in your day? an AGPS location fix takes what, 5 seconds? You're getting histerical about 25 seconds A DAY of usage.

EDIT: you can just TURN OF LOCATION in Shopsavvy's privacy menu. They have a whole page long FAQ on their website.

daisy40 likes this.
  13. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

I have test leaving GPS off for a week and leaving it on for a week and there was no battery life difference. If you leave a program open like google nav or even igoogle with a Google Latitude widget on the page it will continue to use the GPS. As long as the little dish with green radio waves icon isn't on the top bar your GPS is not being used.

14. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Wear an aluminum foil helmet. That will stop your problem, the government is tracking you. HEH

oh and don't forget to wear protection for the raping. heh

necosino likes this.
  15. amuse

amuse Member

Nothing has changed related to GPS in ShopSavvy. I think this is a misunderstanding related to the way Android works.