• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gps issue 2.1 w/DD10

The GPS works fine, if lacking a bit in sensitivity. I've found the tower location to be off significantly at times, similar to 1.5 pre cl14. In my home, Google maps puts me 22 miles away. I have a friend who also has a Moment, I upgraded his Moment to 2.1 a couple of days ago and that phones GPS/location performance was identical to mine. With 1.5 cl14, Google Maps had us in my back yard, after 2.1 we were just off the Van Wyck in Kew Gardens.

Upvote 0
Mines pretty much worthless, 1.5, 2.1 (DD03 & DD10). yet, everyone else in my family (all Blackberrys) have almost flawless and instant location when they are using it. What is missing on the Moment or different that it sucks so bad?

If your GPS isn't working then it's probably defective and your phone needs to be replaced. My first phone was replaced due to the store bricking it during the CL14 update and the GPS on the replacement is far better than on my original phone. I get a fix in seconds and it's accurate.

Upvote 0
i don't think i have a defective gps since it was working fine prior to update. i'm currently running joey's recovery with 2.1/dd10. i've updated from one of the zefie's kernel to 2.1/dd3 to dd10 then rooted again. agps seems to work fine but gps is not able to find my location. also, i'm not receiving any emails to my phone. all the gps/email settings are configured exactly the same as before. any ideas?

Upvote 0
i don't think i have a defective gps since it was working fine prior to update. i'm currently running joey's recovery with 2.1/dd10. i've updated from one of the zefie's kernel to 2.1/dd3 to dd10 then rooted again. agps seems to work fine but gps is not able to find my location. also, i'm not receiving any emails to my phone. all the gps/email settings are configured exactly the same as before. any ideas?

If it was working fine before then I'd guess it is something with your updates. I'm running 2.1/DD03 with no other mods and it is working fine.

Upvote 0
If your GPS isn't working then it's probably defective and your phone needs to be replaced. My first phone was replaced due to the store bricking it during the CL14 update and the GPS on the replacement is far better than on my original phone. I get a fix in seconds and it's accurate.

So, indoor GPS (aGPS) should triangulate? I shouldn't be located on the nearest cell tower. If I don't have a clear satellite view (and I am not moving), my phone locates me on the nearest cell tower. At work, this is over 1 miles away. At home, 3/4 mile.

Upvote 0
if your gps doesnt work do this

home -> menu -> settings -> security and location

make sure the wireless network one (top) is NOT checked
MAKE SURE BOTTOM ONE IS CHECKED

This method actually worked. I had to disable wireless network and enable gps. Then I tried running both Google Nav and Sprint Nav and it picked up my location. I went back to setting and enabled both wireless network and gps and now they are both working properly. Thank you :D

Upvote 0
FWIW - my GPS stopped working yesterday. I've had my phone since December and never had a problem. I took it into the Sprint store and they ordered a replacement.

I had 2.1, but it didn't work with the stock ROM either. I could stand in the middle of my yard and never get a lock. Not really sure what happened...

My first Moment's GPS did the same after about 3 weeks. The replacements been fine, if you excuse the somewhat weak reception and the 2.1 tower location inaccuracies that didn't exist in cl14.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones