• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Issue

ct2020

Feb 5, 2010
Canada
I just got my Galaxy last week. I'm on Bell Canada. Today I noticed some wonky stuff with my GPS.

I live in Northern Alberta, Canada. But my GPS has told me that I am in Both Sydney, Australia and Montreal, Canada. It has also pinpointed my correct location a time or two. Any idea's what could be causing this or ways to fix it?

It has happened with both CardioTrainer and Google Maps apps.

If it makes a difference Bell offers a GPS service that I did not sign up for. I was under the impression that it was for a Bell Guidance system, but I could be wrong. Could that be causing my problems?

Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Please make sure your time is correct. (Time, time zone, and daylight savings settings.)

If your time is off, the GPS will expect the satellites to be elsewhere, which in turn will place you on the wrong spot.

This not relevant as the GPS works perfectly as long as the Maps app has focus. It is only when you switch to something else like email or a phone call does it place me in Montreal.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I thought that might be it, so I checked it out. It was actually disabled, so I figured I'd turn it on to see what it would show (I can't remember if I had played with it before and maybe that's when I ended up across the world). So I turned it on and opened up Google Maps. My Location took me straight to where I am, not halfway across the country or planet.

Lately when I check my location in maps it tells me it can't find me. And other apps that use GPS can't find me either. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, but it looks like I'm still at square one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones