• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS issues?

Samsung: Bad quality support?

I called one guy on the Samsung Smart Phone helpdesk. I told him about my phone problems and he said it was software and to return the phone and get a new one.

Fair enough.

I asked if it was software, when they expect new firmware to be released.

He said that's down to the Network Provider.

I told him I got my phone off contract, and I brought it out right. He insisted it's down to the provider. He said he knows cos he has an android phone, android phones are different, and he got his through T-Mobile.

I said exactly, I bought mine off contract, I can put in any sim card, it's Samsungs firmware.

He said that Android was the OS.

Ahhh, I say, you don't mean provider then do you, you mean Google.

Yes sir. We have to wait for Google to release a new Android.

I said Im not talking about the Android OS, Im talking about Samsungs firmware, the one that says XXJF3 - are you saying that Google makes your firmware?

Yes sir.

And Google makes YOUR touchwiz interface?

Yes sir, Samsung only make the phone.

The guy kept disagreeing with me, telling me know, arguing with me.

Needless to say, I've made a complaint.

Upvote 0
All I need is for one of these illustrious Samsung Reps to tell me that yes, they are aware of a problem with the GPS, yes they know what it is, and yes there will be a fix for it.

Either that, or just tell me that my phone is faulty and I should get another.

I hate playing the waiting game.

Should I send my phone back and get another one which could have the same issue because it could be hardware/software related?

Upvote 0
All I need is for one of these illustrious Samsung Reps to tell me that yes, they are aware of a problem with the GPS, yes they know what it is, and yes there will be a fix for it.

Either that, or just tell me that my phone is faulty and I should get another.

I hate playing the waiting game.

Should I send my phone back and get another one which could have the same issue because it could be hardware/software related?

This is exactly what I am going to do. My new phone will be here on Monday afternoon. I will let you know if the GPS gets any better.

Upvote 0
Well you can add me to the list of those who have a problem.

When I first received the GS it performed very well and GPS was quick and accurate.

Now it's totally the opposite... Slow to pick up satellites and jumps more times than my Granddaughter does when listening to pop music.

Changed/upgraded your firmware or rooted your device in the meantime? It would be nice to know what firmware people with issues are running. I'm on stock XXJF3 and have no particular problems.

Upvote 0
I have been at this for about an hour and a half. I have been told to "relate advantages and disadvantages to social issues (taking general population into account) of Globular Positioning Systems. It says take "reference to the South African constitution and make a discussion" as well. I will happily pay over paypal for a great answer, and that is genuine.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
I must add that even though I have the same problem, ie gps will not log on to any satellites with signal strength below 22, I dun have any problem navigating. I am using ndrive and so far has not lost any signal midway
The thing is with driving I don't get that many errors myself... Possibly due to the fact I'm traveling quite fast so the update is going to be relative to the large distance traveled between each lock.

But what about walking?
This is where you will notice errors.
A good test is using the App 'My Tracks' which records your actual movement.
Using My Tracks this way you can actually see and post on Google Maps the errors.

Upvote 0
Now this is interesting.

Perhaps theres a possibility our phone haven't been partitioned right? I've heard potential rumours of what can cause GPS issues, from Sim Cards to even something like a bad firmware flash. Maybe a re-flash would resolve it?

xda-developers - View Single Post - GPS is not Very good

Anyhow, I've just spoken to a Samsung rep who, and I'll paraphrase, said that my phone sounds like it is faulty. He kind of indicated with that that there are no known issues.

I mentioned XXJF5 and XXJFB and asked when we might get new firmware, they said they're working on the Android 2.2 release but have no firm dates.

I asked about interim updates from Samsung for XXJF5, but the impression I get is that there will be no new updates until Android 2.2 is released.

He said I could flash the phone with the "updated" (albeit unofficial) firmware, and he said I could do that, it's my phone. I mentioned about warranty, and he said he would be concerned about that too.

One thing I might try is to speak to a Samsung Service Centre and see if they can completely wipe the phone and re-flash and re-partition the device using XXJF3 firmware.

worth a try.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's definitely possible that a bad firmware flash could cause problems. It seems that the current firmware came out very late in production, even after many phones were already boxed (some people have double security seals, of which the underlying one was already broken). Perhaps they rushed the process so there were higher margins of error, even though I don't really know how rushing would affect it.

I read about one poster on a Swedish forum that had a lot of problems so got his phone reflashed and apparently that helped him.

I've also heard one person who flashed with XXJFB and didn't get any better results with his GPS. That's the only guy I've heard not reporting any improvements though.

Upvote 0
i posted the below in a gps issue thread over on xda forum

in case no one notices, at appro 3:45 in the video at the below thread, the narrator indicated he had the same gps issues and the new flash to the new rom fixed it

Video for those interested in the Galaxy S and the first Custom Rom MCR R1 - xda-developers
progress.gif

Upvote 0
I'd be interested in hearing from more people re: GPS in the car. I've seen one post here saying that in the car it was working well.

I'm interested in the Captivate...but not if the GPS is crap...for driving. While I prefer that it could be accurate in all respects, driving is pretty much the only thing I use it for. I used mine for walking when in NYC once.

Upvote 0
Now this is interesting.

Perhaps theres a possibility our phone haven't been partitioned right? I've heard potential rumours of what can cause GPS issues, from Sim Cards to even something like a bad firmware flash. Maybe a re-flash would resolve it?

xda-developers - View Single Post - GPS is not Very good

Anyhow, I've just spoken to a Samsung rep who, and I'll paraphrase, said that my phone sounds like it is faulty. He kind of indicated with that that there are no known issues.

I mentioned XXJF5 and XXJFB and asked when we might get new firmware, they said they're working on the Android 2.2 release but have no firm dates.
I asked about interim updates from Samsung for XXJF5, but the impression I get is that there will be no new updates until Android 2.2 is released.

He said I could flash the phone with the "updated" (albeit unofficial) firmware, and he said I could do that, it's my phone. I mentioned about warranty, and he said he would be concerned about that too.

One thing I might try is to speak to a Samsung Service Centre and see if they can completely wipe the phone and re-flash and re-partition the device using XXJF3 firmware.

worth a try.

That's how it came in the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones