GPS Issues?

Last Updated:

1. billoc

billoc New Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone having trouble with GPS on the Captivate? Any Apps that use GPS are not working. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. YellowGT0

YellowGT0 Well-Known Member

My GPS works perfect. And locks faster then any GPS I have ever used

3. mnicb

mnicb Member

workin fine here

4. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

I use GPS by going to Maps and directions right?

5. gr4v3r

gr4v3r Active Member

had the same issue, go to settings-location and security-turn on "use wireless networks"

billoc likes this.
  6. Android_J

Android_J Well-Known Member

Do you have WIFI turned on? WIFI helps to locate much quicker. With it off, sometimes I would not be able to lock on a position.

7. Jreitnauer7

Jreitnauer7 Well-Known Member

I am having major problems with GPS. Ittakes forever to connect and when it did connect I would randomly jump everywhere

8. Joe777G

Joe777G Member

There is definitely an issue with the gps. It will not lock on using just gps.

9. keplenk

keplenk Member

My cousin bought a captivate and he is having major problems with the GPS as well. I think it is a faulty GPS like the original Galaxy version in Korea. I hope Samsung fixes this up so I can go buy it.

BTW, according to my cousin, his friend who bought the Vibrant also has major GPS issues that they never had from their old android phones.

Turning on "use wireless networks" will help because it is using WIFI to find your location but the actual GPS chip is poor.

As a matter of fact I went to an AT&T store and tried the Captivate. I might say it really is an amazing phone! However, it could not even detect "My location" while all of the other smartphones inside the whole store knows where the store is. Of course, I made sure that WIFI is disabled when I tried it and did some other test. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, the Captivate's GPS does not work. Oh yeah, we even stepped outside with the AT&T guy just to test it.

Some said this could fix it:

Gps fix 101 - xda-developers

But its like cheat fix. The fix still depend on other sources like wifi but not the actually GPS satellite instead.

I want this phone badly, but I will use the phone primarily for calls and GPS. I have my $500 ready here but I want to be sure before I buy it. :(