• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My cousin bought a captivate and he is having major problems with the GPS as well. I think it is a faulty GPS like the original Galaxy version in Korea. I hope Samsung fixes this up so I can go buy it.

BTW, according to my cousin, his friend who bought the Vibrant also has major GPS issues that they never had from their old android phones.

Turning on "use wireless networks" will help because it is using WIFI to find your location but the actual GPS chip is poor.

As a matter of fact I went to an AT&T store and tried the Captivate. I might say it really is an amazing phone! However, it could not even detect "My location" while all of the other smartphones inside the whole store knows where the store is. Of course, I made sure that WIFI is disabled when I tried it and did some other test. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, the Captivate's GPS does not work. Oh yeah, we even stepped outside with the AT&T guy just to test it.

Some said this could fix it:

Gps fix 101 - xda-developers

But its like cheat fix. The fix still depend on other sources like wifi but not the actually GPS satellite instead.

I want this phone badly, but I will use the phone primarily for calls and GPS. I have my $500 ready here but I want to be sure before I buy it. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones