• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS issues

wmshub

May 5, 2010
I've searched and it seems that a lot of people have trouble where their Moment has a crappy GPS. That's not my problem. My Moment's GPS works great...when it works at all. But there are specific times when it doesn't work at all, and that's what bothers me. I checked the FAQ and Issues threads here and didn't see it mentioned; is it something I'm missing?

Here are my problems:

* When there is no cell tower nearby, the GPS cannot start up. At *ALL*. I know it can take a GPS system a minute or two to get the ephemera data from the satellites, but I've left my phone with the GPS on for 10 minutes with a clear view of the sky and still no satellite info at all. The GPS status bar widget goes on, but nothing else happens! This makes it pretty useless as a GPS for hiking. Is there any way to get the GPS to start up (even if it takes a few minutes) when there is no cell tower nearby?

* If the GPS is on, then I enter airplane mode (to save power), the phone really freaks out. I keep getting "forced close" type messages for things like "samsung internals" and a couple other OS-like tasks. So once I have a GPS lock I can't let the GPS shut down for even a second, and I also can't put it into airplane mode.

Are there workarounds for these issues?

(Edit: I'm using the CUPCAKE.CJ05 OS build. Not sure if that matters. I think it is the latest officially released firmware.)

Are there workarounds for these issues?

(Edit: I'm using the CUPCAKE.CJ05 OS build. Not sure if that matters. I think it is the latest officially released firmware.)

Yes, there is a workaround.....Install cl14 or wait for the 2.1 release. One of the biggest parts of the cl14 update was a fix for the GPS. If you still have issues after cl14, than it's hardware and you'll need to get the phone swapped out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones