GPS location issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. -ebby-

-ebby- Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If i use just the GPS it gives me a accurate location but if i use both gps and the wireless location it gives me a location that is alot different and a couple miles off. anyone else getting this?

Advertisement
  2. Scott06gt

Scott06gt New Member

I have the same issue, some times it reports I'm in the next town over for some reason...not too big of an issue

3. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

wifi access points sometimes get moved. I was in Curacao and the wifi point was mapped to someone's home in FL. They must have brought it over. Anyway the google wifi database is self healing and will eventually learn the correct spot for the AP you are encountering. It uses APs for a quick fix. If you wait until the gps chip fully boots it should correct the phone (and eventually send the updated data to google.)

4. Cowybuga

Cowybuga Member

Yeah, if you're using local wifi spots to determine your position, it sort of estimates. Turn on GPS and it will pinpoint you within 5ft. Used my GPS for the first time last night (finally figured out it wasn't on) and it was amazingly accurate!

5. awenfam

awenfam Member

i am having this issue also. I thought using the wireless network used the cell towers to give an approximate location but mine is about 150 miles off give or take a few. I thought this was giving me the problems im having with my htc weather widget not giving the correct location.

6. shantytownbrown

shantytownbrown Well-Known Member

Any updates on this as I am having the same issue with my EVO. I keep my GPS off to avoid excessive battery drain when i am not using it, but i thought my 3g/cell tower access points should get me within range not 4 plus miles to the east of where i really am. (two towns away)...

kind of annoying problem...

anyone?

7. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

It relies on Google's database, so Google has to update themselves when one moves. The alternative is to use GPS.