• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS (Location) Warnings never turn off

cth95mustang

Nov 23, 2009
Whenever I turn on GPS (Location Icon), a warning displays about a Location Consent that I have to agree to. Then another warning pops up about Google Location Consent that I have to agree to also.

This happens EVERY time I turn on GPS. Doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off, which is annoying. There's not a Do Not Ask Me Again check box to get rid of it.

Does anyone know of a way to turn those warnings off? I never had that issue on my GS4.

Do you mean that you're physically disabling and enable the location services feature each time through the menu?

Like per these instructions:
samsung-galaxy-s-4-Enabling-GPS-and-Location-Services-1.jpg
Click to enlarge

If so, I don't think you can really disable that. I believe it's built in to the system to warn you when the feature gets enabled.

If you leave it enabled, the device should only use location services when needed, and it should show you via the status bar when they are being used.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I'm just enabling and disabling the GPS through the notification panel buttons. It does the same thing though. Asks me to Agree to 2 location consent warnings. I guess this is just something new with Kit Kat? It definitely never did this when I had my GS4. I could just turn GPS on and off and no warnings would ever pop up. I just wish they would allow a "Do Not Ask Me Again" check box so that they'll stop in the future.

I've heard other people say what you said about the GPS being turned on not being an issue for battery drain unless it's being used. Is that really true? It seems like all I've ever heard is that leaving GPS enabled will drain your battery. But now people are saying it's not a big deal unless you see the location icon pop up on the notification bar.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Asks me to Agree to 2 location consent warnings. I guess this is just something new with Kit Kat? It definitely never did this when I had my GS4.
I'm thinking it may vary from device to device. I've always gotten the one main warning on all of my devices.

Just checked again and I only get one warning. I leave it enabled though so I never see the warning after the first time.

I've heard other people say what you said about the GPS being turned on not being an issue for battery drain unless it's being used. Is that really true?

I can only speak from my own experience, but it hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Keep in mind, I have the Nexus 5, not your device, but unless gps/location services is a known issue for the device, it should work as intended and be fine.

The only thing that has caused me any battery issues is Google Play services keeping the device awake from time to time.

Apps call on services. If an app needs location services, that will run, when the app is done using location, that service will stop. Should be as simple as that in most cases.

Reactions: cth95mustang
Upvote 0
On my Samsung Galaxy S4 I could toggle the GPS on and off without getting and pop up boxes. Also apps like FB and the world clock could get locations for check-ins or updating time based timezone i waa, in without turning on GPS. Then I got changed out to a Moto X and I had two pop up boxes every time I toggled it back on. And no app seems to be able to function without it on. The phone,was messing up and I hated it and got work to switch me to the Samsung S5. Now I get one pop up box each time. It is very annoying after being used to not having to do it. The only other change was going from Sprint to AT&T. It could be the different phones, updates, or rules, required by the, vendor.

Upvote 0
don't think it has anything to do with the vendor/carrier

I'm on Verizon and just said muck it boy.... leave it ON.
I left mine on High Accuracy..... but I toggle WiFi off/on and I get messages about that too. Google insists that WiFi will give better location accuracy than a GPS receiver when I am 175 miles from the nearest WiFi signal.... That pisses me off no end.

I just look at settings/apps/app mgr/all and GPS does not show up in that list at all. I wanted to turn off notifications.....

Upvote 0
If your problem is with the Google Location Service Consent "Agree / Disagree" dialog box that pops up every time you turn on the GPS on your device, read on:

You can permanently disable this stupid pop-up with this procedure (REQUIRES ROOTED DEVICE):
1. Install ES Task Manager or a similar app that allows you to disable or uninstall any and all services including System services. Then run the app.
2. Look at the lists of installed and running services in the following "tabs": Task Manager, Cache Cleaner, and Startup Manager for this Service: "GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK". On my Samsung SMP-T310 tablet (running 4.4.2 KitKat), it is listed in ES Task Manager under the Startup Manager list. On the right side of the screen, each service that is active has a red minus sign in a red circle. If you tap the red circle, a dialog box opens that says: "WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO DISABLE A SYSTEM COMPONENT...". Tap "OK" to proceed. The red circle will change to a green check mark, and a red strikeout line will be placed through the service name, showing that it is now disabled. Now re-boot the device. You should now be able to turn the GPS on and off without the Location Consent pop-up driving you nuts every time.
3. As far as I can tell, disabling this service has no adverse impact on any of the apps I normally use on this tablet, but I have not exhaustively tested every possible app, so "your mileage may vary" as they used to say. Anyway, I can now turn the GPS chipset on and off without having to bother with the tear-my-hair-out Location Consent dialog box.
4. CAUTION: My tablet is a WiFi only tablet, and does NOT have a Cell Phone chipset, so I can not guaranty that disabling this service will have no impact on the functionality of an actual Android cell phone (I don't own a smart phone, just this tablet).
5. If disabling "GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK" does turn out to have adverse effects, just turn it back on in ES Task Manager and reboot the device.

I found the above procedure on another Android User Support forum and am cross-posting it here, in hope that it will help others. The Google Location Consent dialog box is one of the most extremely annoying things I have EVER experienced from a Google "update" (it was not in Jelly Bean, the OS that was on the tablet when I first purchased it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones