GPS navigation on galaxy note 2

Last Updated: 2013-04-06 07:51:06
  1. nashtrik

nashtrik New Member

If my galaxy note 2 is a standalone gps device, why does it need a network connection to start navigation ? Means, it should start navigation even if I am in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Any answers. .?

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Depends on what app are you using to Navigate. For example, if you are using the built in Navigation app from Google, it needs an internet connection to download the map data and other things from Google servers. If you want offline navigation, you need to get an app that supports it.
    nashtrik and LilBit like this.
  3. In the latest versions of google maps you can download the maps on your phone when at home on wifi and your device will not connect to the net for maps. But it will connect for navigation.
  4. nashtrik

nashtrik New Member

In that case, recommendations for a good software/application shall be highly appreciated...!!!!
  5. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

I have been using Copilot Live V9, for a few years now and just love it. It has a lot of features and customizations like a stand alone GPS. The maps are updated every quarter. If you will be using your phone as your dedicated GPS, using an offline GPS app is going to be good for your phone. (It will help your phone to run cooler as opposed to running hot using a GPS app that has to download data.)
    nashtrik likes this.
  6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

You'd try Navfree, it's offline and free.

IMO the best of paid offline car navigation apps are Navigon.

For hiking and biking and basic car navigation offline you'd have a look at the free OsmAnd.

Harry
  7. I like navigon too. A bit expensive but its by far the best.