GPS not lockingSupport

1. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

I can't seem to get a lock better than 1500 meters in Google Maps - and this is consistent across all apps that use GPS. I tested my wife's Shift standing in the same spot and hers locked with no problem, so it's not the towers or view of the sky. Also, the satellite icon just keeps blinking. Are there any tricks to fixing this problem? Or could this be a phone problem?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

3. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

Not sure what tower location is. Where can I check that setting to see if it's on?
  4. EarlyMon

homescreen -> Menu -> Settings -> Location -> Use wireless networks (check) along with Use GPS satellites (check)

These phones use aGPS and get an initial location from the cell towers, then use that to get a precise GPS lock.

Without an initial seeding, an aGPS system can take 15, 20 minutes or more trying to square itself away.
    suttoc likes this.
  5. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

Could using Juice Defender contribute to the problem? I just rebooted, and disabled Juice Defender and my location came up in seconds.
  6. EarlyMon

Yep it might - as I recall, you can inhibit services to save power - maybe check how that beastie is configured. I'm not a JD user, so - that's all I got for you.

Just glad it wasn't hardware!!
    suttoc likes this.
  7. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

Me too! I'm gonna keep JD disable for a while and see if the GPS problems comes back. If not, JD gets dumped! Thanks!
  8. EarlyMon

Pleasure!
  9. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

Sorry...one more thing I noticed and wanted to throw out there. It asks to turn on Wifi when I open, say Google Maps. If wifi is off, no location lock. If on, it locks. Do you know how this works? Obvisouly if I'm in a car I don't have a wifi connection.
  10. EarlyMon

I get the same warning, but it works anyways.

Your 3G is on?
  11. suttoc

suttoc Active Member

Yes, 3G is on. And I just tried GPS test and I don't get anything on the map. My GPS status is a yellow dot. I would assume that is bad. :-(
  12. EarlyMon

Yep - run through yours and your wife's settings - all - for wireless and location, and ensure they're identical (and using the towers).

Wait - btw - just try a reboot - maybe it wasn't juice defender and that was coincidental?