gps not workingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. augiecrazy8

augiecrazy8 Member This Topic's Starter

I can't get a gps signal anywhere. Its on, the symbol is telling me it has a signal, but it never works no matter how long I wait or where I'm at. Will apps keep that from working? Or any other suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Get an app from the market called "GPS Status" and see how many sat's you get ... the more you have the better the accuracy ...

the more they are toward the center ring the better the signal strenght,
    closer to the outer ring the weaker because they are nearing the horizon ..

the gps icon should display continually in the status bar ...

3. augiecrazy8

Thanks for the help. Doesn't look like I'm hooking up with a lot satellites. Also, I apologize for the multiple posts, I got a few error messages and thought it wasn't posting. Now that I know my signal strength is weak, is there anything I can do?

4. justjimjpc

are you in area with lots of taller buildings that may be blocking them ,

open sky is best ... and 5 plus sats i think shoud be enough ... but 9 or more is not unusual

5. augiecrazy8

I'm in chicago, but not downtown. I was standing on the beach north of the city this afternoon and I got nothing. I also on the 12th floor of my apartment and I'm getting only 1 sat... I'm the largest building around?

6. justjimjpc

You definately need clear sky ... you should get almost no sats inside a building ... maybe a bit through windows ....

Asumming you could see the GPS icon blinking in the status bar .. and had open sky ... and not getting any data ... then I would say most likely a bad GPS reciever... Call TMO about replacement ...

BTW: did you try the GPS STATUS app and how many sats did you see ?

7. augiecrazy8

I did get the GPS Status app, and the most I've been able to get (assuming that the little yellow dots with a number are sats) is 3. And again, this is from very open spaces next to Lake Michigan in northern Chicago, no buildings, etc. Just not sure what's going on...

8. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Sounds like your GPS might be bad. Do you have another GPS to compare it to just to be sure?

Mine works even in downtown Minneapolis. I have used it many times riding the bus to make sure I get of at the right stop. So I know your latitude has nothing to do with it.

9. augiecrazy8

The strange thing is this, when I use the GPS Status app, I can see a lot of satellites in the compass, but the app is telling me that I have 0 satellites? I guess I'll have to go in and get my third G1 (the original I received had issues with the keyboard). This is a bit frustrating.

10. justjimjpc

If you still only getting 3 Sats I would say yes ... But when I use "GPS Status" even with nine Sats, It takes a bit of time for the app to update it's screen with the correct sat count ...

BTW: A new version is out in the MarketPlace ...

11. crankin

crankin Member

Might seem like a stupid question but have you tried connecting to wifi and then trying your GPS?

I was having a similar issues and found it was because i didn't have maps for the area i was in, connected to wifi then tried it and it instantly started working.

12. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for that app! i didnt even see it on the market.

13. justjimjpc

My wifi at home is currently not in service .... or I could let you know ... but to have wifi and GPS at the same time is rare for me ...

14. justjimjpc

You're Welcome -- Glad to help ... We couldn't do this without everyone's eye's ...