• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Notification and Location Services

So, I have both Google and Standalone location services enabled (not sure if I should). The icon that always shows in the notification bar is the diamond with the cross through it with the three succeedingly larger parentheses-like curves on the right. I always thought that was the icon that showed when something is accessing GPS and therefore using battery.

Is this the icon that should be there? Or should I be seeing something else?

Yeah, I was confused by this as well. Most phones I've used have NO icon unless the GPS is actually being used to seek location. But on this phone, the icon you described is always there and then the little circular GPS icon appears all the way to the left when GPS is actually being used. Strange implementation if you ask me, but I guess you get used to it.

Upvote 0
The little cross on top of the phone is there no matter what. It does not mean GPS is on. When you are using a location (like Google services) it adds a bunch of lines to the right of icon. The icon will be there no matter what however (even if you turn off all locations) When GPS is on and working a separate icon will appear altogether.

Reactions: dhj
Upvote 0
Thanks all.

So now I have to ask, do you enable any location services? What is the reasoning to do it or not? And are there better/worse reasons with the GSIII than previous phones?

I usually only keep the Google location on. Only GPS when I need it.

The three locations are pretty self explaining. The Google one will be used in location services required by certain apps and weather. I am pretty sure my weather app I use from Beautiful Widgets won't update unless one of the locations is turned on. The Verizon one is for when ever VZW apps use location (VZ Navigator). And last is the stand alone GPS which uses satellite position and is used by some 3rd party applications. THe most accurate.

The reason people would enable them is how often they use applications that require their services. My Personally I turn them on in a as needed basis. Other people who travel more and require these locations would probably leave them on. Leaving them on will probably decrease battery performance, but its all about how you feel is important. You could argue since the battery size of the S3 is larger in stock, you can afford to leave some of these locations on.

Upvote 0
I usually only keep the Google location on. Only GPS when I need it.

The three locations are pretty self explaining. The Google one will be used in location services required by certain apps and weather. I am pretty sure my weather app I use from Beautiful Widgets won't update unless one of the locations is turned on. The Verizon one is for when ever VZW apps use location (VZ Navigator). And last is the stand alone GPS which uses satellite position and is used by some 3rd party applications. THe most accurate.

The reason people would enable them is how often they use applications that require their services. My Personally I turn them on in a as needed basis. Other people who travel more and require these locations would probably leave them on. Leaving them on will probably decrease battery performance, but its all about how you feel is important. You could argue since the battery size of the S3 is larger in stock, you can afford to leave some of these locations on.

Great explanation. I'll play with these settings for a few days and see what works for me. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones