• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS on most phones

yahoowizard

Android Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010
How well does the GPS on most phones work? I mean, does it work in moving vehicles like on a freeway or something, and I'm not 100 percent sure since I've been stuck with a Captivate (failed GPS :( ). I really do find the GPS helpful and I'm not going to be upgrading to a new phone for the GPS if I find out that my expectations of a normal phone's GPS are not what they seem to be...

I've played with two Android phones: my wife's Samsung Fascinate, and my my Droid Bionic. Google GPS navigation is dead accurate. Whereas Bing does not maintain good GPS fix at all...keeps darting all over the place like it's drunk. But yes, Google GPS, as long as you can get a good view of the sky, works great and it's fast. Not sure in Manhattan with all the skyscrapers if you can get a good fix, though.

Upvote 0
GPS is used to locate your position... apps use this information... Google provides navigation. Are you asking how good Google's Naviation app is or how good is GPS in general?

GPS is GPS.... some chips are better than others but these days they are about all the same. Navigation/maps are different. Personally I don't like Google's Navigation. A few times I've had it route me via odd routes (Interstate was 3-5 miles away but it wanted me to drive 23 miles at 35mph instead).

Upvote 0
I've use the GPS and mapping app on both a Nokia N97 and HTC Desire Z. The GPS is pretty accurate on both phones. The work well when moving or standing still.

One thing I have noticed is that on my N97, it seems to have difficulty obtaining a lock on your position while in a moving vehicle. It has already locked onto your position, it has no problem following. It's just that if you turn on the GPS mapping app while you are in a moving vehicle, it has trouble locating your postion. If you already are locked and start moving, it has no problem following you.

The Desire Z has no problems obtaining a lock on your position in a moving vehicle. I find it locks on a lot faster than on the N97.

Upvote 0
I was mostly asking about the GPS chip in the phones.
I don't understand what you mean.
Are you talking about the physical GPS inside the phone?

YES!

OP: For phones the GPS is very good as far as recreational grade and for navigation. It is well worth the trouble of having one that works.
This may answer some of your questions:
Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course I have to wonder how you've conclusively determined that the GPS has failed. Have you used various GPS apps to see if any of those can use the GPS chip? Also, have you done a factory reset?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones