GPS On/Off

Last Updated:

1. paulcooper

paulcooper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it really neccassary to disable the GPS signal when the Desire is not actually using GPS?

Firstly i thought well I am not navigating so it would not be used - TRUE
    but actually it is being used for location services, especially for weather.

So do we really need an on/off widget on one of our pages to turn it on/off?

Personally i think not when it is in use there is a sat image in the top toolbar - therefore using it as expected when using it.

Any reason why some people suggest turning it off?

Advertisement
  2. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

Battery life I would think.

3. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure whether it uses any battery when it's on and idle, but for the sake of pressing a button whenever I want to use it to switch it on, it's no bother to switch it on and off.

That way, at least if something does try and use it, it can't and therefore won't effect the battery.

I think I'm right in thinking that GPS, along with Wi-Fi connectivity, are the biggest sappers of battery charge. Just not worth the risk leaving it on. :rolleyes:

4. w0mbat

w0mbat Member

Totally agree with you. I never turn off GPS and my battery life is fine. Wireless is scheduled to be turned on and off with timeriffic as I know that will drain the battery by trying to find new connections...

5. dunbad

dunbad Well-Known Member

Theres 2 places that ive turned my gps off, first on the power control widget, and second on the location services widget. I believe that even a minute on gps will use alot of battery, not that I know this for sure, but if you use it for just a short time the battery gets knocked for six! As far as im concerned a massive drain on battery. Wifi not so much, I hear that wifi uses less than 3g if your connected to either.

6. paulcooper

paulcooper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to run with it GPS off today and see if there is any difference at the end of the day!

7. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

I tried runkeeper today which uses GPS all thetime. I used it for 3-4 hours. Battery was full in the start and i didn't notice any difference in the end.
    Will check battery status before trying it again tomorrow but from early test, it makes none or almost no difference to the battery.

8. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

I think I may give this a try too as I'd like to be able to keep my GPS on all the time but haven't for fear of draining the battery.

One little annoyance with the Desire is that when taking a photo the GPS isn't turned on automatically for geo-tagging. I had a C905 before as so long as the option was ticked the GPS would turn on with the camera and then off again once you've finish.

9. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

yeah i remember that, i had the same phone.. i do wish this would do the same.
    or maybe just what my old Nokia 5800 did..

press browser
    Phone asks would you like to connect to the internet.
    press yes
    Done.
    Close browser
    Internet turns off too.

Although..to be fair its not exactly a big deal having to press a button before browsing.

10. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

I leave my gps on all the time and it only uses a little bit of batttery life.

Basically it is only using battery life when you are using an app that uses gps, e.g google maps or the camera app.

So it is not a problem to leave it on.