GPS periodically turning on?Support

Last Updated:

1. Phazon

Phazon Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

First post, been lurking for a while. Seems a great forum

So I have a Desire on Vodafone in the UK. Upgraded to Froyo using the official method the other week. Not sure if it is since then, but it's happened a lot the last few days, and it definitely didn't do this before the upgrade, but it seems that my Desire is now turning on GPS every few minutes - the icon flashes away in the notification bar. I have no idea why. Any idea what's happening, and how I can work out what app is causing this?

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. RetroDude

RetroDude Well-Known Member

Is GPS maybe "on" but then only being used for some purpose every few minutes. I know if i leave GPS on the symbol isnt there unless it is being used

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes.something must be trying to get a gps fix. Have you rebooted. Since you updated? Need to see what apps are running.

4. Phazon

Phazon Member This Topic's Starter

First post and it was in the wrong forum... :eek:

Yes GPS is 'on', but previously it *never* activated unless I went into Google Maps, or some other GPS-enabled app. Now it appears to be turning itself on periodically.

I'll try rebooting and see what happens, but it's been rebooted a number of times I think. I've got System Panel running, so will also check out what apps are loaded.

I'm a bit surprised there doesn't appear to be an easy way to work out what is triggering it

Love the phone by the way, and the OS.

5. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Maybe your weather widget if you have one?

If it's updating very frequently with GPS enabled it will check your location everytime it updates to ensure you haven't moved around. You should be able to stop that widget using GPS to get a fix and just use network instead and set the update frequency to every 3 or 6 hours or something.