1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

GPS Problems With The latest "Where" App

Last Updated:

1. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is anyone experiencing GPS problems with the latest version of "Where"? I request my location via GPS and it just sits and waits. I have to use the back arrow and set my location manually. I had no problems prior to the flashy GUI upgrade. Could this be an issue with the EVO only? I had another update today, but it made no differance. All input is appriciated.

Thanks,
    Jack

Advertisement
  2. Dog Paw Print

Dog Paw Print New Member

I have noticed this same thing, even though I went outside and tried to get the gps to find me with a direct view of the sky. It probably took about 3 minutes and didn't pull up my exact location, but found one within about a mile, so pretty close eventually.

I seem to have no trouble with the gps when using Google Maps features, but WHERE is starting to annoy me.

Yesterday I did a search for Home Depot and it did not find the location closest to me. I ended up having to go out to my browser and locate the phone number that way instead. WHERE also didn't recognize my zip code when I chose the "set manually" location.

I was a big fan of this app when I first downloaded it, but am becoming disenchanted with its practicality.

Perhaps there is a satellite glitch in the area where I live, but this is what I found yesterday.

BTW, I have a Samsung Galaxy S device- Captivate (att)

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If your GPS receiver (it's entirely separate from your GPS-enabled apps) is working properly then it should be available to any app. If you're using Google Maps to assess the situation with your GPS receiver, keep in mind that Google Maps can fall back on other methods of determining your location. Though the accuracy drops on the alternate methods. You can also verify whether or not your GPS receiver is being used by looking at your notification bar. You'll have a GPS icon if it's in use. The icon will flash if the receiver has not obtained a fix. It will be steady once a fix is obtained.

For troubleshooting GPS receiver issues GPS Status is handy. In many cases, I've had to use its reset function to get my GPS receiver working again.

Highly unlikely. Issues with your particular receiver are much more likely.