GPS problems

Last Updated:

1. kongstad

kongstad New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I've had my desire for a little more than a month.

When I first tried the GPS it was a bit disappointing. From my appartment it could see only to satelites, and it couldn't get a fix. (I use GPS test).

I put it in its cradle with GPS test on, and went to sleep, and the next day it had locked on to two of three visible satelites. since then it seemed to get a little better, and when I got the OTA update it would lock on in a matter of seconds (perhaps 30-45) instead of the usual couple of minutes.

But now it is all gone - It cannot see any satelites, even when I am outside. the weather is clear, no cluds what so ever.

Have anyone else had the same problems? My guess is a hardware error, perhaps the antenna for GPS detached somehow. But I am wary of returning it, since it is a lot of bother, and I'll have to do without my new phone for weeks if I do, and I am not even sure that its a hardware problem.

My phone is bought with no operator lock, from a Danish vendor, and I use Telia as my operator.

The firmware version is 2.1-update1
    and the softwarenumber is 1.21.405.2

Advertisement
  2. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

You need a good view of the sky to get a GPS lock. It works OK through glass and plastic but not through other solid objects (metal, concrete, etc. Even trees can block the signal).

First off, I'd download something like GPS Status, go stand in a large open space and see how many satellites you can lock onto.

GPS Status v3.1.3 Application for Android | Travel

3. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

I had the same issue, it sometime takes 15 minutes to lock.
    Many users claim it takes 10 seconds to lock, I am starting to blame the scandinavian location(You said danish vendor and your nick is clearly scandinavian).