• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS Problems?

M

Member196159

Anyone else getting any GPS problems with the G2x?

Throughout my use with Google Nav, on the Nexus One and G2, I've never had any problems with it, until switching to the G2x.

I thought it may have been an isolated problem, then a few days later, it happened again.

As I went for a small two mile jog today, using RunKeeper, the phone registered me running five+ miles and jumping a few hundred feet left and right.

5701751814_d8b1a97d03.jpg

5701182723_cc5a21b975.jpg

Anyone else getting remotely similar results?

Are you sure GPS is turned on? If your G2X was using cell tower triangulation, your tacks would look like that.
also, what was the terrain like? urban?

Positive, RunKeeper doesn't start until you get a decent GPS fix.
It's a reservation/park. There are lots of trees.

Sounds like triangulation results to me as previously mentioned

I wish. lol.

I just tested RunKeeper today, and it worked pretty great for me. The distances are correct. I had a clear view of the sky the whole time though.

Perfect! I have runs from last year/few months with my Nexus One and G2, respectively, that are just like that.

Last night I went with my friend to a Walgreens nearby, on the way back to his house I told him to turn both our phones and GPS his house. My phone never got a GPS fix on Google Maps, his took about ten seconds. It was annoying. And we both have a G2x.

I may have a lemon.

I've also noticed that my data would just stop randomly at times. I'd have 4G, but only the right arrow would be highlighted in white and it would just remain like that. I'd try to browse the web, go on the eBay app or Market and just can't connect!

EDIT: Here's a shot from last year, at the same location, using my Nexus One.
5711654763_752b0e764a.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes I've been having GPS issues, but not with RunKeeper. I've been using GoogleMaps and it loads up and everything appears to be working fine, until I come to a turn. Every time I come within about 200 feet of my next scheduled turn, GoogleMaps force closes on me... EVERY TIME!

The first time this happened to me I was hoping it was some error with GoogleMaps itself, or maybe the bad weather I was experiencing. But I've tried it on other occasions, under normal conditions, and this happens every time I come to a turn.

Very annoying.

Upvote 0
So I bit the bullet and called T-Mo for a replacement.
The rep said they've had gotten some GPS complaints, I dunno if he did a Google search, if he really looked at some cases or if he was just straight out BSing me, but I got a new one for a $10 shipping fee.

The result?

The same:

5748218799_6be603fbcf.jpg

And earlier in the day, while driving in the car, it lost GPS signal for two minutes.

Upvote 0
Took my phone out today using runkeeper and to was way off. The track was jumping all over the place. The place where I run is 1.60 miles and it read 1.79. It seems like there is an reception/connection issue. Like it's not connecting to enough satellites. I had my garmin watch on the same arm that I held the phone. It was spot on. I will run with my nexus one tomorrow and see how tht goes.

Upvote 0
Took my phone out today using runkeeper and to was way off. The track was jumping all over the place. The place where I run is 1.60 miles and it read 1.79. It seems like there is an reception/connection issue. Like it's not connecting to enough satellites. I had my garmin watch on the same arm that I held the phone. It was spot on. I will run with my nexus one tomorrow and see how tht goes.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but I'm glad someone is experiencing the same problems as me. lol.

I'm hoping it something on the software side, rather than the hardware. I'm already on my second G2x because of it. Hope to see an update that'll fix it.

Todays runs for me:
5756074803_c1c998b6a3.jpg

5756620752_e01dd86438.jpg

Ahh well, I guess it could be worse?

Upvote 0
Sorry to sound like a jerk, but I'm glad someone is experiencing the same problems as me. lol.

I'm hoping it something on the software side, rather than the hardware. I'm already on my second G2x because of it. Hope to see an update that'll fix it.

Todays runs for me:
5756074803_c1c998b6a3.jpg

5756620752_e01dd86438.jpg

Ahh well, I guess it could be worse?

That's unsat. It'd be worse if you phone self destructed because that's unusable.

Upvote 0
I don't think that using the GPS test from the "hidden menu" does anything different from using the GPS Test or GPS Status (free) apps from the market -- and they at least have a prettier graphical UI. :) GPS Status also puts up a "toast" when it first gets a fix indicating how long it took. Mine generally takes between 75 and 120 seconds, if it's been a few hours since the last fix. (Repeat fixes within a few minutes take <10 seconds.) It should do better, but it's usable. Hopefully the bug-fix/Gingerbread update will improve it, considering that the problem appears to be a buggy driver.

Upvote 0
Still the same problem. Looks a bit better though. ha!

6000467024_aa4f062568.jpg

5999920157_9d2927e7a0.jpg

5999920107_7c6b61d5eb.jpg

I got a lock-on before I started running. I figured it'd be fine. I got to 1 mile and it tells me "10 minutes, 0.13Miles 76 minutes per mile," and I just gave up. I was frustrated that this phone cannot even have a simple GPS function that actually works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones