GPS Programs cause phone to restartSupport

Last Updated:

1. JRAP27

JRAP27 Member This Topic's Starter

If I open any google map/sprint nav program phone restarts every time. I have installed google map update, updated firmware, PRL etc.. and nothing seems to work. Just had Sprint store install 2.1 and was very happy with it up till now. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Advertisement
  2. Alan Ross

Alan Ross Active Member

I have the same problem. I have tried all kinds of fixes. Nothing worked. I turned GPS off so I don't accidentally reboot the phone.
    Otherwise 2.1 works fine for me. Sprint needs to fix this.

trillyizzle likes this.
  3. Moguldog

Moguldog New Member

Two examples causing reboots are Golfcard and Run.GPS. I thought it was a problem with the later until I went golfing yesterday and Golfcard blew up.

I really need a fix/workaround for this as I use these apps alot.:confused:

4. A4shizl

A4shizl New Member

I'm having the same problem.

5. Moguldog

Moguldog New Member

My reboot problem spread to all apps that use GPS, even Sprint Navigation and Google Maps. Fire one up and the phone reboots.

Someone on another forum was convinced the problem could be fixed by reflashing using this sequence so I gave it a go:

Reset back to factory settings ( skip the setup stuff as you'll be reflashing anyway)
    Remove the SD card
    Reflash rom
    Reinstall the SD card
    Reinstall your Apps etc

So far after 24 hours all those apps using GPS are behaving and wiith no phone reboots. I can only hope it stays this way.

6. Alan Ross

Alan Ross Active Member

I am going to pick a day to try this when I have some free time. If it does not work....well, we'll see.

7. mdgo

mdgo New Member

I tried this and unfortunately, this method also does not work. My phone was okay for a day, and then started to reboot as soon as GPS kicks in. It does this on Google Maps or Sprint Navigation.

I called Sprint to complain, and they refreshed my phone from their end (don't know what that means). But that too didn't help. So for the time being, I've decided not to open any GPS apps.

8. Alan Ross

Alan Ross Active Member

I called Sprint today for some advice. The young lady I spoke with had her own Hero updated to 2.1. She seemed very familiar with the phone and all of these forums. After describing the problem she said that the likely culprit was one of my apps. Her phone had no problems with GPS. She said I could try a few things. One was to clean the phone and start over with 2.1 without any apps. If the GPS works then add apps one at a time until the offending app is found.
    Another way is to delete all the apps and see if the GPS works. If so, then add apps back one at a time as before.

I think I will try the second method first.
    BTW, she indicated that before Sprint sees any firmware it all goes through Google first. So anyone complaining about Sprint should also include Google in the equation.

9. Alan Ross

Alan Ross Active Member

I started from scratch, reloaded my apps and GPS now works fine.

10. enigma_0Z

enigma_0Z Member

ARGH. This just happened on my Evo, looks like maybe HTC/Google/Sprint has a software issue, or (as the sprint tech suggested) some bad app?

What apps do you have installed? I think that maybe ShopSavvy or Bump caused this for me... had no problems with the GPS until this morning... Yesterday evening I noticed that one app (shopsavvy afaik) left the GPS icon (not flashing) in the pull-down bar and I had to start up Maps and Compass to get rid of it... I think that the apps that leave this up here are the ones that are causing the problem... we shall see.

11. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I have not ever had this issue, but it definitely sounds to me like a rogue app misbehaving, or not playing nicely with the new update. I would also suggest removing all apps, and replacing them one at a time, checking each time , until the culprit is found. Good Luck!!!

12. handrobot

handrobot New Member

I have the same problem, whenever I start an application using the GPS, the phone reboot after 10 sec to 3 min.
    I have a HTC Magic 32B (from Vodaphone SFR).
    Strange, the problem seems to have started after installing CoPilot Live 8 ...
    I try to format the SD card, wipe cache/data/reset factory, reinstall ROM from original 1.6 to 2.1 Cyanogen5.0.7 but the problem is tought !
    Sniff... I could not play with Maps Navigation... :(
    I can not understand if the problem is hardware or software.

13. JRAP27

JRAP27 Member This Topic's Starter

I brought phone to service center and spoke with the tech. He performed a reset to "factory" settings. I then reloaded all apps and phone ran fine for a day. Started doing the same thing again. I just have up on it at thar point. Another day passed and for whatever reason it is working fine now for about two weeks. Phone is not rooted and I had sprint install the update .

14. trillyizzle

trillyizzle New Member

I have an HTC Hero- Sprint. My problem is pretty much with non-factory apps that use GPS. If I use apps like shopsavvy and layar, and they might work once or twice, but they restart my phone right when I am showing someone how cool the app is. :mad: After reading this and other forums, I tried turning GPS off and then using them and they still work without the GPS on. I did have to turn on GPS to use Sprint's nav, but I only tested it for a minute... don't know for sure if it's good. My solution for the time being is to just keep GPS off and wait for Google/ HTC/ Sprint to fix it.

stevealbright likes this.
  15. Charm

Charm Member

I had this same problem. Sprint send some kind of over the air upgrade and after I accepted it thats when the problem started. I just reflashed the 2.1 upgrade and everything has been fine since.

16. deejay412

deejay412 Member

back everything up, turn phone off, press and hold home and back button. while holding those 2 down press the end call button. it will reboot and gps will not shut phone down anymore. this was a fix i got with htc. it appears on some of the upgrades it doesn't wipeout old files somewhere or something like that. any questions pm me

17. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

First you should not be posting your email address, and that is a factory reset, does not always solve the issue, many have tried it and it still reboots there phone for some reason. but he can always try it but keep in mind you will have to set your phone back up from scratch again, and as Deejay said back up your info, good lock

18. mhocuttt

mhocuttt New Member

So, I noticed my phone shutting off when I opened certain applications. After researching a few sites, I came to the conclusion that it must be a GPS related issue; the question is what is the fix? When I open Sprint Navigation, Google Navigation, or any other app that tries to access GPS, the phone just restarts. Whats up with this issue?

Update 7/7/10: Went to the sprint store. They said that advanced task manager was causing issues... They did a reset on my phone and it seems to be working... for now. All of the gps apps are opening fine. Will keep updating if anything changes.

19. DonB

It is a known issues, but the funny part it is not only happening to Android phones, I have a couple of friends that have a BB and it happens to there BB also

20. rgcarney

rgcarney Member

Removed the app killer. Shut the phone off. Pulled the battery. NO luck. It was "factory reset" already. Sounds like either a defective bug ridden piece of crap or I should get a new phone phone from Sprint. Unacceptable and a complete f'in waste of time.

21. jeepinweezle

jeepinweezle Member

Having the same problem, this is BS!

HTC, You are not going to be able to compete if you keep putting out crap.

22. DonB

+1 Agreed, Shameful and they are sold out of the EVO, what does that tell you about people, they don't learn

23. westkc3

westkc3 Well-Known Member

Isn't this a hard reset? Doesn't it wipe the phone? I have spent a significant amount of time setting the phone up how I want it and now I have to begin again? This would be the 4th time and frankly my time is worth too much to be doing this over & over. I understand this device is in essence a smal computer and needs some regular maintinance but this is absurd.

24. westkc3

westkc3 Well-Known Member

I rsan across a msg indicating this issue could be resved by entering ##GPSCLR# and you MSL then clicking GPS in the ededit screen. But when I enter the # after the alpha characters the field clears and nothing. Any more detailed info would be helpful.

25. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

The GPS restart issue is a known bug with the 2.1 update, some phones have this problem but most don't. The method described above is a add reset/factory data wipe, this is known to solve many issues but it will erase all data on the phone. If the gps issue is that big of a deal for you, take it to Sprint, they should work with you.